What's new

Does not make sence PCGS vs NGC same Grade same coin year

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
1,402
Reaction score
118
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I found a certificated coins I began looking at some prices.

Look the at the two coins below. Identical the only difference is the grader.

One is PCGS and the Other one is NGC.

Can somebody explain the difference in price. Aren't PCGS and NGC the top dogs when it comes to coin grading? This info is from a coin dealer selling these two coins

2009 S Kennedy Proof Clad Half Dollar NGC PF70 Ultra Cameo
$33.95

2009 S Kennedy Proof Clad Half Dollar PCGS PR70 Deep Cameo
$139.95

Thanks for Watching
 
Upvote 0
I'm a long time collector of coins - almost exclusively now seek PCGS coins. I have consistently found similar coins in similar grades command higher value from PCGS. Many would argue - but my experience has shown to maximize resale value PCGS is THE way to go.

And remember - always, always, always buy the COIN not the slab.

Good luck.

Also check this out:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1441802
 
There is no reason that a coin should have that much difference in value PCGS vs. NGC. I would imagine one seller wants more than the other for their coin.

At the higher grades (MS 65 and up) in old US gold, PCGS will sometimes bring a slightly higher price from what I have seen in some dealer listings (see below link). But it is not that much different for the most part. Check out the common traded US gold listings.

All the coin dealers I have used locally treat the two exactly the same in their buy and sell prices.

My own personal preference is probably PCGS if I had to pick between the two, but NGC is a great name too. I own coins slabbed by both.

http://www.coininfo.com/

Jim
 
Hi,
Those are just asking prices and nothing more. Has nothing to do with the grade or grading service. I have a 2009-S proof ultra deep cameo and all that in the original mint holder and I am only asking $500. Okay, on a serious note, my personal opinion is that I would rather have a PCGS graded coin over an NGC coin. I just recently sent some coins to be graded and I chose PCGS.
I would not buy either of those coins. You can buy the whole proof set for less.
SilverMiser
 
The reason for the discrepancy is simple.

Over time, collecters and dealers have come to the consensus that PCGS is more consistent and conservative with their grading standards that the other services. NGC runs a close second, but for the near future (until the industry opinion changes) you will always see a premium for PCGS graded coins.

That is not to say that the other services always over-graded/mis-grade, just that since many dealers and investors purchase sight unseen (not a practice I or most collectors use), they are more comfortable trusting the grade on a PCGS holder as opposed to the other services. Notice I differentiate between investors and collectors. Collectors usually appreciate the beauty and history of their coins, while investors many times just buy the grade and put the coins away for future resale.

For good articles on this issue, read articles by Q. David Bowers addressing this exact thing.
 
yes PCGS is more respected and does command a higher price. however it does say one is an ultr cameo and one is a deep cameo....i'm not that knowledgeable on the cameos but perhaps this may explain some of the difference in price.
 
There is no difference in Deep and Ultra Cameo. They're simply different names for the same designation. Any modern proof will most certainly grade deep/ultra cameo. The reason why the PCGS coin is worth so much not only has to do with the fact that PCGS is more respected, but also due to the fact that PCGS just doesn't grade as many coins MS/PF 70 as NGC does. Therefore these "70's" are rarer and command a bigger premium. Also, the PCGS registry, where people can log their PCGS graded coins to get the highest graded set, leads to higher prices for their coins.




-Paul
 
There is no difference in Deep and Ultra Cameo. They're simply different names for the same designation. Any modern proof will most certainly grade deep/ultra cameo. The reason why the PCGS coin is worth so much not only has to do with the fact that PCGS is more respected, but also due to the fact that PCGS just doesn't grade as many coins MS/PF 70 as NGC does. Therefore these "70's" are rarer and command a bigger premium. Also, the PCGS registry, where people can log their PCGS graded coins to get the highest graded set, leads to higher prices for their coins.
good info :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom