Chiz said:Just found it yesterday, haven't cleaned it or anything yet. Obviously hand made. It has a polished black stone, with blue marbling in it... just trying to see if anyone saw anything like this before. I was thinking necklace, but normally the back wouldn't be so "detailed"...
~ Chiz
Hey Jeff!!! Been away, lol.. now I am in NJ at least, heck, I have not had anytime to get my site back up!!!
jeff of pa said:Yea I Was Shocked Last Time I Tried to
Get in

Clay Lindsey said:It think Breezie nailed it. I couldn't find any replica's of the design on the net, but it seems to fit the bill for Edwardian/Victorian "Jet" Mourning jewelry. Maybe a reputable antique dealer can age it for you.
Clay
Chiz said:Clay Lindsey said:It think Breezie nailed it. I couldn't find any replica's of the design on the net, but it seems to fit the bill for Edwardian/Victorian "Jet" Mourning jewelry. Maybe a reputable antique dealer can age it for you.
Clay
I have been looking on the net since I found it!!! Since it was hand made, I would expect some type of inscription, if it is a mourning necklace. The three that I have seen (from my family through the years from the 1800's) all have a locket type of compartment for a lock of hair or such. I just got back from a jeweler who had no clue and when I mentioned it possibly being a mourners, they balked at the idea, the big store chains are bad, lol... gonna try to find a mom and pop jeweler to see what they think (plus there are several antique stores on my way). Hopefully I will let you all know what they say!!! Thanks for the input!!!
~ Chiz
~ Chiz
Breezie said:Chiz, Mourning Jewelry was not just limited to hair lockets. Mourning Jewelry included necklaces, earrings, bracelets, stick pins, etc. It was a Victorian practice, and unless you find a Jeweler who is an authority in antique jewelry, they will have no clue. It would be the same thing as going to AutoZone to get information on a '32 Ford coupe! Breezie
Breezie said:I think it is a Victorian 'mourning' necklace. Weight was not a problem for Victorian women; they wore 10 lbs. of clothes, and probably 5 lbs. was underwear! LOL Very NICE find, Breezie

GopherDaGold said:Breezie said:I think it is a Victorian 'mourning' necklace. Weight was not a problem for Victorian women; they wore 10 lbs. of clothes, and probably 5 lbs. was underwear! LOL Very NICE find, Breezie
I was thinking the same thing and was fixin' to post but Breezie beat me to it,
Stop beating me Breezie!![]()
You know great minds run together . . .well, yours is great, I don't know about mine right now. The bathroom remodeling that is going on at my house is taking it's tole on me. Who would have thought sheetrock dust could travel 5 rooms down the hall! Breezie