šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Double die + triple die on a Westpoint? Please help identify what Iā€™ve found

newtoit

Dec 25, 2021
So I am new to this forum and also some what knew to coin hunting. I guess I normally was just coin attracting before finding my first rare coin in circulation. So Iā€™ve been hunting lately for a Wespoint because a great friend of mine has been only collecting the bat quarter designs and not looking for Westpoint mint quarters. He gave me some to go through, no luck. I bought a box, no luck. I bought consumer wrapped rolls, No luck. Finally I go cash my check and asked for it in cash back (so I get the change). Never checked it but bought 2 rolls of quarters and 3 rolls of Pennieā€™s since they let me. I go through every coin and am left with nothing but 2 double die 2020 Pennieā€™s and a couple older quarters. Then I heard change jingle in my pocket while get dressed for bed. Emptied the pocket and glanced over the coins. Was BLOWN smooth away when seeing a Wespoint Rockefeller shining brightly towards me. Protected the thing for 2 weeks and then finally put it under the scope. Hereā€™s what I think I foundā€¦ a 2020 Wespoint Rockefeller quarter with a double die obverse and a triple die reverse. I havenā€™t seen anything similar to what I found but really just want your guys thoughts on it. Iā€™m new to all this so any reply is way more than I expected.
14F170BF-1405-4845-87A4-D9B710AA4252.jpeg
CE1072A9-A81E-47BC-8B79-4919024BDBB7.jpeg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many types of doubling on coins besides doubled dies. A coin can be double struck, there is mechanical doubling caused by movement of the coin or die during striking, there is ejection doubling which happens while the coin is being ejected from the dies, there is split plate doubling which happens on the copper coated Lincoln cents, there is die deterioration doubling that happens as the die wears out. Most of these carry little or no value. Your coin appears to be die deterioration doubling to me. On a doubled die, the doubling would be in a rotational manner, not going out toward the rim. It is an extreme example though, so if someone was interested in it, it could carry a small premium.

Upvote 4

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
So I am new to this forum and also some what knew to coin hunting. I guess I normally was just coin attracting before finding my first rare coin in circulation. So Iā€™ve been hunting lately for a Wespoint because a great friend of mine has been only collecting the bat quarter designs and not looking for Westpoint mint quarters. He gave me some to go through, no luck. I bought a box, no luck. I bought consumer wrapped rolls, No luck. Finally I go cash my check and asked for it in cash back (so I get the change). Never checked it but bought 2 rolls of quarters and 3 rolls of Pennieā€™s since they let me. I go through every coin and am left with nothing but 2 double die 2020 Pennieā€™s and a couple older quarters. Then I heard change jingle in my pocket while get dressed for bed. Emptied the pocket and glanced over the coins. Was BLOWN smooth away when seeing a Wespoint Rockefeller shining brightly towards me. Protected the thing for 2 weeks and then finally put it under the scope. Hereā€™s what I think I foundā€¦ a 2020 Wespoint Rockefeller quarter with a double die obverse and a triple die reverse. I havenā€™t seen anything similar to what I found but really just want your guys thoughts on it. Iā€™m new to all this so any reply is way more than I expected. View attachment 1998610 View attachment 1998609
Thanks for Sharing Can you tell us Your Photo Equipment that you are using for taking Photo's

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread