What's new

double eagle flask. HELP PLEASE!

weston

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
lima ohio area
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
ok guys found this bottle while cleaning out an old barn...im a coin hunter so i know nothing about this bottle except that its a double eagle flask. i would like to know when, where, value, etc. i hear this is the place to come for bottles so i thought i'd try it. i found bottles similar to this one, but this one just doesnt fit. the eagles head is facing the opposite way of all the others, and i cant find another one thats the same color. hope you guys can help me thanks.

weston
 

Attachments

  • pic38423.webp
    pic38423.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 758
  • sierra 010.webp
    sierra 010.webp
    6 KB · Views: 732
  • sierra 013.webp
    sierra 013.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 716
  • pic38423.webp
    pic38423.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 689
  • sierra 010.webp
    sierra 010.webp
    6 KB · Views: 704
  • sierra 012.webp
    sierra 012.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 701
  • sierra 013.webp
    sierra 013.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 709
  • sierra 011.webp
    sierra 011.webp
    3.5 KB · Views: 710
Tag post. I'm anxious to see what the pros have to say about this bottle. I'm sure they will be along shortly. :thumbsup:
 
weston, that is a decent little flask. I cant think of it as very rare. Yours is a bit sick. I show a similar one, asking price $85.
Perhaps others can add more info.
 

Attachments

  • compare.webp
    compare.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 821
Have a pic of other side? Looks most likely a GII-109. If there are only 3 verticle lines in the breast of the eagle it could be a GII-95
 
Road Dog said:
Have a pic of other side? Looks most likely a GII-109. If there are only 3 verticle lines in the breast of the eagle it could be a GII-95
Thanks for your research, 'Road Dog'. You motivated me to look in McKearin & Wilson.

GII-109 is embossed in the oval frame PITTSBURG / PA, according to the listing. Is this embossment optional; that is, is it still a GII-109 without the embossing?

GII-95 is a reasonable guess except for the missing round collar. I'm wondering if this flask lost its lip sometime after it was in circulation.

If this is a GII-95 that has lost its lip, the normal value of <$100 would be drastically affected, wouldn't it.
 
I think the lip is correct. There are like a bunch of lip variations on these things. His appears from a pretty well used mold. Maybe it's just weakly embossed in the frame? Probably optional on the embossing. That flask is probably 1840's.
 
For those who have not seen it yet, this topic is also being discussed in the "What Is It?" forum. I post here primarily to get email notices from both threads.

SBB
 
That about covers it but it was brought up on the other post and I was wondering if you know what glass factory this was made at? There are no markings.
 
Road Dog said:
Have a pic of other side? Looks most likely a GII-109. If there are only 3 verticle lines in the breast of the eagle it could be a GII-95


I agree with this one. Although it is listed as common. Yours is a little better IMO, because it is sheared and pontiled, therefore older. Great little find. Keep looking.... Grats!
 
I have three of the same flasks, two with city names, I will need to check the city's again but I think they were from New York or phailadelpia(sp). The ones I have are from the early 1800's and were used for travel. When they were empty the owner would go to a local tavern and have them filled and carry them in saddlebags or even in boots, hence bootleg liquor. The ones I have are in very good condition and valued at around 100-150 dollars, of course prices vary and I picked up mine a couple years ago.............RR
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom