What's new

Double Gilt Button - with crown, fabric still attached!?

apw

Greenie
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, button peeps...

I found this today at an 18th century site I've been hunting:

double-gilt.jpg


It's about an inch around, and the front is smooth and plain.

I read somewhere that the "double gilt" means it was dipped twice in gold. Is that true, and if so is that faint yellow material gold!?

Cheers!
APW
 
Upvote 6
Nice Find! I've dug a few myself that still had the thread on them. I'm amazed that the material lasted so long in the ground.
 
Nice find JPW. It's British made, possibly 1790 - 1820,s. I can't find Manufacturer for that type. Sorry.
 
Button dates 1820-1840s. It is gold gilt but not worth the amount of scratching to make it value anything in terms of gold. These are one of the more common backmarks for buttons of that period.

Dan
 
Found the same button in a field in holland near the city Eindhoven. unnamed.webp
 
Great button and I agree with Dan's age estimate. To expose gilting use a q-tip and lemon juice on the yellow spots and work out from there, but try and keep the citric acid off the copper as much as possible.
 
Aluminum jelly or naval jelly works well also-let it sit for a minute & roll the side of a toothpick around the button surface. Then rinse and repeat. Per Buckleboy's most excellent instructions!
 
Thanks guys! I try
 
Thanks guys! I'll try
 
Nice old button. I like finding them as much as the old bullets.
 
According to Tice's Dating buttons this type started around ca 1800.......
 
Aluminum jelly will reveal any gilt that's left. Don't use Naval Jelly. As Scrappy said try to keep it away from any exposed copper if you can.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom