What's new

Doubling???

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone post a pic of a coin that is referrred to as "doubling?" I would like to see a standard coin next to a coin that has been doubled so I can see the difference. Also, the concept of "off center" next to a "centered" or a non-off center coin would be a great learning experience as well. I just ordered the "red book" today, which I hope, will give me info with pics. I am just wondering if the experts :notworthy:in webnet land has something for us rookies to view.

May the Gold and Silver goddesses bless us with a prosperous new year.
APUSH
 
Upvote 0
Here is a photo of a "double die" 1955 Cent and an "off center" 1997 Cent.

I chose pics that are quite extreme in their errors. How extreme the error is can change from just a little to very obvious and usually the value will go way up as the amount of error does.
 

Attachments

  • 1955 DD.webp
    1955 DD.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 267
  • us_cent_off_center.webp
    us_cent_off_center.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 302
Wow! Yes, it is quite obvious. The concepts have been ingrained! Thank you ever so much for taking the time to post these pics. I bet lots of folks will learn from your post.
apush.
 
I am not an expert and I do not know how to differentiate but I know that when the doubling comes from an error on the manufacturing process the coin is not worth a lot but when the doubling comes from the die it self it is when is a real DD.

DW
 
Darth Walker poses a good question. How does one know the difference?
apush
 
Definitions courtesy of: http://coins.about.com/

A doubled die coin is a coin that was struck from a die that had a partial or full doubled image on it. The doubling comes from mistakes in the die hubbing process, where more than one image is transferred from the hub to the coin die. The 1955 doubled die Lincoln Cent (see photo) is the classic example of a doubled die, and sparked the start of the error coin collecting hobby in the U.S. Although no other doubled die types exhibiting the remarkable degree of doubling seen on the 1955 cent have emerged from the U.S. Mint, noteworthy doubling has also been found on 1972 and 1995 Lincoln Cents.

Mechanical doubling, also called machine doubling or strike doubling, a form of doubling which appears on a coin and is easily confused with doubled die strikes. On a true doubled die coin, the doubling comes from a mistake in the process used to make the coin die itself. In mechanical, or machine doubling, the doubled image results from mechanical issues during the striking of the coin, such as the coin shifting during striking, or the die itself being jarred out of position as a result of vibration or improper coin press maintenance. Mechanical, machine, and strike doubling are all considered by purists to be forms of damage, and are therefore not collectible as an error coin.

____________________________________________

Included is a pic showing machine doubling. Coins displaying machine doubling will carry a small premium as a curiosity to many collectors. True doubled die coins will be quite valuable and will be fairly obvious.
 

Attachments

  • Machine_Doubling.webp
    Machine_Doubling.webp
    116.7 KB · Views: 297

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom