Dr. David S. Phelps, Archaeologist...a Dear Friend

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is saddens both Ron and I of just finding out today of our Dear Friend, Dr. David S. Phelps passing on 21 February 2009.

We met Dr. Phelps back in 1998, when Fred Willard (volunteer with Dr. Phelps) contacted my husband to ask permission to do an archealogical dig on his property on the Outer Banks. This dig was one of the highlights of Dr. Phelps career. Regardless of issues regarding the artifacts found, belonging to my husband and curated at E.C.U.....he was a fine, upstanding man with so much knowledge. He will be greatly missed!

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/signet-ring-crowned-nc-archaeologists-career

He, like us, love the thrill of finding history and researching it.....

Ron's property is a very small piece owned by his 6th great grandfather that has been passed down through the generations. The property to the right of Ron once belong to his Aunt Olive, who owned two lots. That piece of land, when she passed, was sold by her niece and nephew to a couple from CT. We have personnally met with this couple and they are really nice. Within the last year, a house has been completed and they plan to retire to it in the coming years. The builder who built the house, owns a lot to the left of Ron's property. All that land on this road belonged to Ron's 6th great grandfather....but as I said, was divided over and over again as each generation passed on.

Ron has considered selling it, and considered building a summer home on it....but as of today, still sits in it's natural state :)

So, regardless of your feelings on Archies.....know that Dr. Phelps was truly a person of compassion, love of history and a down to earth guy! Rest in peace Dr. Phelps!

Ron and Ann

Photo 1: Ron with Dr. Phelps in 1998, right after the ring was found
Photo 2: Ron holding the ring
Photo 3: Official photo of the ring
Photo 4: Dr. Phelps showing Ron where the ring was found.
Photo 5: (L-R) Ron, Dr Ewen, Dr Phelps and Fred Willard. Dr Ewen took over the lab when Dr Phelps retired.
Photo 6: Ron and Fred looking at all the items found on Ron's property...this is the storage area
Photo 7: Fred showing our boys an item found and explaining to them.
Photo 8: Dr Ewen and Ron
Photo 9: The plaque that shows the lab was named after Dr. Phelps....this photo was taken in 2002?

Attachments

• Dig1a.jpg
    Dig1a.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Dig13a.jpg
    Dig13a.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 232
  • digring2a.jpg
    digring2a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 225
  • Dig12a.jpg
    Dig12a.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Jul31_13.JPG
    Jul31_13.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Jul31_16.JPG
    Jul31_16.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Jul31_19.JPG
    Jul31_19.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 239
  • Jul31_05.JPG
    Jul31_05.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Jul31_21.JPG
    Jul31_21.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 223

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
May he rest in peace knowing that he touched a great number of lives. His family will be in my prayers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread