What's new

Drawer pull, handle or what?

just-dig

Full Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
138
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
I dug this what looks like a drawer pull today at my mothers house. It's copper that's been hammered on the ends then rolled to make the loops. The indian is just for scale. Can someone ID this and give possible date range?
Thanks, Mark
 

Attachments

  • drawerpull.webp
    drawerpull.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 250
I would definately say its a drawer pull. I can't date it for you though. Sometimes the only way to date items like this is by the other dateable finds you have made in the same area. I will say that with the rolled over ends, it most likely is pre-1900. Just my opinion though.
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
I would definitely say its a drawer pull. I can't date it for you though. Sometimes the only way to date items like this is by the other dateable finds you have made in the same area. I will say that with the rolled over ends, it most likely is pre-1900. Just my opinion though.

I'm in agreement...and to add to the info...rolled ends means that its malleable steel and more than likely made by a blacksmith as opposed to a more contemporary foundry.

I would suspect that the rolled end tells the story...a mass manufacturer would have resolved the connection with an offset lug or have placed a machined hole...

A laboratory analysis of the steel would also define whether its from a foundry or a blacksmith...being that these tests are costly, I would live with a pre-1900 date.
 
Upvote 0
stefen said:
72cheyenne said:
I would definitely say its a drawer pull. I can't date it for you though. Sometimes the only way to date items like this is by the other dateable finds you have made in the same area. I will say that with the rolled over ends, it most likely is pre-1900. Just my opinion though.

I'm in agreement...and to add to the info...rolled ends means that its malleable steel and more than likely made by a blacksmith as opposed to a more contemporary foundry.

I would suspect that the rolled end tells the story...a mass manufacturer would have resolved the connection with an offset lug or have placed a machined hole...

A laboratory analysis of the steel would also define whether its from a foundry or a blacksmith...being that these tests are costly, I would live with a pre-1900 date.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what the material is, but it's not steel. It feels like brass, but in the pitting it looks like copper?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom