Druzy (?) Type Material - Help ID?

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several of these pieces in grandpa's collection - mostly now strewn about Dad's property. They range in size from about 9" up to one behemoth that is about 24"x16"x12"....

99% of grandpa's rocks are from Oregon. Thanks for any help!

P.S. I have a lot of photos of items I have not yet posted here (Some of you are probably sick of grandpa's collection) If you have any interest in perusing - to help with ID but also just to look at some cool rocks! - just message me and I'll send you a link to some online photo galleries.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2128.jpg
    IMG_2128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
It looks a lot like Wyoming botryoidal youngite, I'm not 100% but that's what I'm thinking it is, if not then it's botryoidal chalcedony maybe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I can see, youngite will flouresce green in UV - I'll give that a try. The matrix/base rock (don't know the vocab) looks very much like what I'm seeing of Wyoming botryoidal youngite samples online.

Will chalcedony flouresce as well?

Upvote 0
Yes some Chalcedony will, a lot of Chalcedony from Arizona fluorescence green, even from my spot it goes a little green with a cheap short wave uv light I have that barely turns on lol, I was thinking as well the matrix/host rock resembles what you have to.

Upvote 0
So Wyoming youngite is Chalcedony/Jasper, I just looked it up and it explains the green fluorescence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure some of us dont mind you showing off the collection. :) That bit may not be from Wyoming but it looks good. Here's a link to a community that knows a lot about fluorescent materials : https://www.uvminerals.org/

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Does it have little tiny crystals that sparkle when you move it around in the sunlight, if so then it is druzy.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back