OP
J

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "dry" creek bed

Tree roots - on the lee side, or no? I ran into some good size river rocks shoveling, but I've got access to an auger. Next weekend I'll see if I do any better. I also keep getting gold like flakes, but they're gold, with blue hues and when I finally got a big enough flake, I was able to crunch and smear it. Reminds me of the kinda mattalic looking shale I used to skip rocks with when I was a kid. Is this an indicator of metals in the area, like black sand or rose colored quarts?

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you have mica flakes. Gold will not crush or smear and will always shine yellow in the sun or shade. Mica will only shine if the sun hits it and will crush and smear.
Edson

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You might like to look and see if there is a possible contact zone or zones. (areas where the bedrock is of different types, and join together). That is usually a good place to do some sampling, also.

Beth

OP
OP
J

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you, I'll take a look and see if I can find where this change in the rocks happen. I'm also seeing alot of rusty looking rocks, regardless of type. Lots of Iron, is this a clue I should be paying attention to?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally, when I'm sampling, I don't pay particular attention to iron - unless we are talking iron staining in quartz - that's a different type of thing. ;D

Somewhere in my pack, I carry a nut pick (the things that pick nutmeats out of nuts), and if I can find a contact zone, I grab a pan, and dig out all the stuff I can out of the crack between them. Then sample. Of course, those picks are also great for all kinds of sniping, but, especially good for checking in specific spots.

I look for heavies (black sand) and, of course, the real thing. It's hard to be exact about little tiny flakes - until you see your first one - then, you always know.
If a piece is big enough, dig your fingernail into it - if it chips or breaks - garbage, if it dents or bends - :hello2: :hello2:

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread