Dug up my 10th silver and 100th wheat penny on the same day!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out with my dad at an old school when I found my 10th silver, a 1942 quarter. That makes a total of 10 in ~3 months for me! I also dug up my 100th wheat penny. Dad got his first silver too!

DSC_0001.jpg

And here are the last batch of wheat pennies that I dug up after tumbling.
DSC_0004.jpg

I might as well post the rest of the stuff from yesterday...dug these up at an old abandoned Nike Missile Base
DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg DSC_0006.jpg

I doubt anyone cares but here is a video I made of the day. The last clip is all black for some reason. Sorry I'll work these kinks out as I get more video editing experience!

Upvote 2

RCGoodin

Sep 12, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Detector(s) used
Just bought a used White's V3i. Can't wait to get it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please define the tumbling technique. Is it abrasive to coins?

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please define the tumbling technique. Is it abrasive to coins?

I use the dual drum rotary rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. I put all of my non-valuable clad in with pea gravel, water, and a drop of dish soap and let them tumble from 2-6 hours. This particular batch went for 6 hours.

It's not really abrasive to the coins because they are harder than the gravel, but it definitely hurts the value so I wouldn't do it to anything you plan (or think you may plan) to sell. Don't do it to anything but clad and relics.

I tumble just about everything I pull out of the ground aside from silver, even the old coins. Works wonders on crusty old nickels.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds! I am shocked at how much large silver you are digging! I dig probably 95% dimes in most of my hunts. Good luck out there!

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am too Jason. I thought quarters were the norm until I saw most everyone here saying the same thing about them. I would like to find more dimes because I love mercs and roosies but I'm definitely not gonna complain about a quarter!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am too Jason. I thought quarters were the norm until I saw most everyone here saying the same thing about them. I would like to find more dimes because I love mercs and roosies but I'm definitely not gonna complain about a quarter!

You must be in some virgin or near-virgin ground. The one thing I have learned is that the big silver was the first to be dug in the old days of detecting because their shear size made them easy targets. Any place you are finding silver quarters, especially Washingtons, needs to be hunted very thoroughly because there is probably a lot more still in the ground.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be in some virgin or near-virgin ground. The one thing I have learned is that the big silver was the first to be dug in the old days of detecting because their shear size made them easy targets. Any place you are finding silver quarters, especially Washingtons, needs to be hunted very thoroughly because there is probably a lot more still in the ground.

That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread