Dutch Shultz Gold? Phoenica NY?

S

stefen

Never heard of barrier bonds... have heard of bearer bonds though :thumbsup:

"A bearer bond is a debt security issued by a business entity, such as a corporation, or by a government."

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi. I have a thread somewhere in this forum on this subject. I located the original cache site after a three year search. It's now on protected land and is preserved for posterity. My post includes a pic of the tree carving that marked the site. The treasure was recovered by a rival gangster who stole the map from a Schultz gang member following the hit on Schultz. This legend was kept alive for all these years because the Liberty Bonds had never been cashed. However, gangsters were being locked up for tax evasion and these bonds could have been traced leaving the owner with money they could not account for. So the bonds were destroyed as they carried the threat of a prison sentence. This was a well documented treasure as not only did 8 gang members help assemble together Schultz' personal fortune and place it in the iron box, but Schultz spoke of it in a feverish delerium on his death bed after he was shot with police stenographers recording every word. Yes, I was THing on protected land, shame on me. But if it was there you'd never have heard of me. The treasure was originally $7mil; $4-5 mil in $1000 bills, diamonds, gold coin, jewelry, Liberty Bonds, and other portable wealth.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure the bonds and paper money was damage by rain and water. It still may be in Phoenica NY. Best of luck to all looking for it. I live in Connecticut. [email protected]

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am originally from upstate Ny, near albany. I have heard the legend of Dutch Shultz gold for a long time. I knwo the phoenica area and that area is extremely prone to floods. I persoanlly think, this will never ever be found. I hear it was around 8 Million in barrier bonds. anyone heard anything on this?

The key to the Dutch Shultz treasuer is the cross on the map. It was used to inicate a cemetery; in this case
Hudler Cemetery which is 4.3 miles South of Phoenisha, N.Y. Marty Krompier new the box was buried over the
grave of an old woman, "Grandma", in a cemetery 4.3 miles south of Phoenisha. The trouble was he didn't know
the name, which was left off the map. But wouldn't it be close to the road that runs down the center of the cemetery, because the gold weighed @ 1,800 lbs.? And towards the back closer to the creek? Any grave after 1933 can be eliminated, and young people, and old men, and it would probably be a prominent grave stone. How meany could
there be? If you can't find an iron box 2 feet X 3 feet you better give it up---------------Tod Ringam

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, No, only the description of the map; drawn by " Lulu" Rosenkraantz. Tod R.

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Franklin, I'm too far away but, thanks, thanks for the offer, I was hoping I might help you or anyone else for that matter. Tod R. P.S I have info. for Beale Treasure, if you would be interested in it. Please let me know.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a interview on TV with a 100 year old man who knew Dutch and claim the story is untrue. I believe the story is true.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I already know where the Beale Treasure is located. I just need lots of money to purchase land and it ain't cheap. That is why I am trying to get other treasures recovered near my home. Then I will go for the other treasures.
Talk is cheap. Are you related to Frankn? We want to know.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The interview was on TV channel 88, in Bridgeport CT. Gus Show is a call in show, about a month ago. I forgot the guess name, but he was in the mob, and he just recently wrote a book about his life He had some of the same friends as Dutch, and they both were friends. Yes, I believe the story, but won't search for it, since it is not in Connecticut. Have detector, no car. [email protected]

Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in that almost every weekend, I should do a little research.

Phonenica is a nice town. Its gotten very touristy in the last decade or so.

It might be just a matter of time before its accedentially found, of course if it still exsists.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Even with the map, it was purported that Shapiro made several trips up and could not find it, as well as other gangsters. Lets face it, it was done at night so how accurate could the map have been? If they couldn't find it with the map then you got to ask yourself was the map true or just a decoy to throw everyone off?

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who had spent countless days on the ESOPUS River in Phonenica tubing - Along the tubing route the locals set up on the banks = selling adult refreshments -- I have stopped many times ans spoken to then on a hot afternoon --- There are several facts most treasure hunters miss --- 1--- the area along the Esopus has flooded out many time including the BIG Flood I beleive in the 50's that cut the banks way back and took out all the railroad bridges - With that history of flooding The area where the trunk ( if it still remains ) has long since been washed out 2- One of his body guards is supposed to have gone back after his death and removed the trunk == since the majority was Cash ect There would be no way to know , the liberty boand were proberly destroyed since they could be traced and 3---- I dont recall where it was on the web but there exists a long post / Blog from the late 1990"s that indicated that a person had found the location , near the tree and there was evidence of something having been buried there --- The last time I was there in 2006 I could not believe how much work has gone on , infact at the end of JAY or Jason Street Cant recall exactly the whole area about the river has been overpassed , dug up and Filled with rock --- They used to be a great bar in the town on main street , that did a great seafood buffett in the summer, That is supposed to be that BAR that is mentioned in several of the stories , any good luck You never know ,,,,,, also MALONE NY sits right on the Canada Border and has a huge gangster and bootlegging history , There might be something up there Have FUN

Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
thanks for the post some interesting stuff, I see you are living in GA? did you once live in Phoenicia? Did you TH for this treasure? There is a TH on this site who swears that he believes he found the burial site and posted a pic of a map and the tree with '1934' carved into it, but no X. I think this has to be a hoax since the treasure was buried by Dutch in 1933? right?

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iv read the fbi files on dutch shultz, i read the feverent ramblings of dutch and tried to gather what info i could, supposedly the treasure is NOT in phonecia but in the mountains in summitville, i plan on going camping there this summer as i live local and im going to go exploring for a few days i already have a good indication where it might be or at least a clue

CarolinaCarl

Oct 31, 2012
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett ,Tesoro , Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been their many times ..was in hudler and prodded with a rod to 4 feet and never hit anything on the older sites..I am not living in ny anymore . never did see the pic of the old tree with the carving,would like to see the pic..the railroad tracks are on the opposite side of the cemetery..many conflicting stories ..I have heard when they left the hotel they stayed in they went to bury the cache they turned right on the main rd which brings them the wrong direction for hudler ..c

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread