Eagle item at Civil War Prison Site

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Trying to figure why this one, which I've been told is early 1900s, was at site of Civil War prison. I don't mean near the site, I mean at the site. Is it possible this is earlier item? If not, perhaps dropped by a military veteran visiting the site later on. (Yes, I had permission on private property. This prison was not made into a state or nationally protected site.)

Attachments

• eagle.JPG
    eagle.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 7

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad Bergie, I found two of those last weekend and thought the same thing. They are pretty buttons nonetheless.

Attachments

• 1470233671504.jpg
    1470233671504.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 98

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search some military records online. Maybe the military was investigating the site for remains. Or just visiting because relatives may have spent time there?

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Bergie is back! You could have a second name like "buttons" since you find so many. Your button is an oldie for sure. Wondering what the reverse looks like.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding those great seal buttons ar always a welcome treat. Hard to say what some of those buttons would say if they could talk.
Congrats on a sweet piece of history!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buttons are still nice military history. It is a 1902 Great Seal button that is still in use today. There are different backings and makers marks that would tell you if it was WW1 or WW11. Those buttons are great finds in my book, and I enjoy it every time I pull one from the depths of the dirt.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Trying to figure why this one, which I've been told is early 1900s, was at site of Civil War prison. I don't mean near the site, I mean at the site. Is it possible this is earlier item? If not, perhaps dropped by a military veteran visiting the site later on. (Yes, I had permission on private property. This prison was not made into a state or nationally protected site.)

Actually whoever told you early 1900's wouldn't have a clue how early. I had the same buttons in the USAF in the middle to late 1970's.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Actually whoever told you early 1900's wouldn't have a clue how early. I had the same buttons in the USAF in the middle to late 1970's.
Odd that the Air Force had you use Army buttons.
This button has remnants of the black finish applied to it manufactured only until 1923.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions