Early Relics! And you thought lawn darts were dangerous.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have found some interesting relics on my last couple of hunts. The toy cannon is my favorite. At 4.75", it's bigger than others I've seen found. You could have actually fit a musket ball in the barrel had the rim not been bent (intentional?). It doesn't seem to have had trunnions, but I'm confident that it's a cannon. It's heavy and it has a vent.
IMG_3547.jpg IMG_3572.jpg
The rattail spoon was very deep and it began to flake a bit before I could even get home. I think I have it stabilized pretty well now.
IMG_3558.jpg IMG_3559.jpg
I was trying to figure out what the shoe buckle frame is made of, so I would know how to treat it. I was stumped, so I rubbed the back with some fine sandpaper, and when I did, it revealed a maker's mark. Any ideas on how to ID it?
buckle frame.jpg IMG_3526.jpg
I think this is a small sword pommel. I found one similar last year and Crusader ID'ed it. The soil was not kind to this one, but it looks like a hound on each side.
IMG_3555.jpg IMG_3566.jpg
This last thing is a mystery. It might be bent. Any ideas?
IMG_3549.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Upvote 40

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's some finds!!!!!! Congratz....

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds. a quick internet search turns up a few silver shoe buckles circa 1770 marked WH as being attributed to a fellow by the name of William Harrison. Wouldn't have a clue if it's the same maker or not, I don't know a thing about shoe buckles.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool finds. a quick internet search turns up a few silver shoe buckles circa 1770 marked WH as being attributed to a fellow by the name of William Harrison. Wouldn't have a clue if it's the same maker or not, I don't know a thing about shoe buckles.

Thanks for the lead. It would be interesting to know where it originally came from.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon and the spoon are super cool...how does one stabilize a spoon? Great finds! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cannon and the spoon are super cool...how does one stabilize a spoon? Great finds! :)

Thanks!
The spoon is pewter, so as it dries it wants to start flaking in places. I learned from this site to treat pewter with a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. It seems to work. I've done it with pewter buttons.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't unbend it!

Last item looks like an early sword belt clip.

Here is one I dug many moons ago. As you can see they can be quite decorative.

View attachment 1906480

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/213885-thor-toothpick.html

Thanks, Dug! I measured mine and it's the same as yours. Do you know how this would have worked? I can see how it would have hung/clipped to something, but how did the scabbard attach? Or, was it nothing to do with suspending the sword? What did it do?

I thought this thing was the most boring of my finds. Now it's the one I'm most interested in. Thanks, again.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read about the 50/50 glue/ water mixture a few times now...all on T Net...it sounds like a good approach. Thanks :)

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Dug! I measured mine and it's the same as yours. Do you know how this would have worked? I can see how it would have hung/clipped to something, but how did the scabbard attach? Or, was it nothing to do with suspending the sword? What did it do?

I thought this thing was the most boring of my finds. Now it's the one I'm most interested in. Thanks, again.

I have no idea how it was employed. The "Thor toothpick" is a link to when it was ID'd for me and that was all I got out of it. Assume yours is brass and is there any kind of design on the other side?

All your finds are very early. Congratulations on getting into an early spot. Dig everything there that gives a repeatable signal!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh... Double banner in my book... well done.

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't get over how big that cannon is. The toy cannon I found could slip inside the barrel of this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sheesh... Double banner in my book... well done.
Thank you, AARC. I'm finally getting around to putting together some displays, and all of these recent finds will be good show-pieces.
Still hoping to learn more about the "scabbard clip." I'm puzzled as to how it would function, but it's a "thing" for sure.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds. I found the same pommel few years ago. You can see it at 7:46 into this video. It shows a hunter behind 2 dogs with a deer or rabbit. I believe it's from a 17th/ 18th century continental hunting sword.

https://youtu.be/LyH1D_c0d8M?t=464

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. I found the same pommel few years ago. You can see it at 7:46 into this video. It shows a hunter behind 2 dogs with a deer or rabbit. I believe it's from a 17th/ 18th century continental hunting sword.

https://youtu.be/LyH1D_c0d8M?t=464

Thanks! Your soil was much much kinder than mine, but I think you are right. It's the same. I really enjoyed the video BTW. That was an awesome site that you had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread