Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Dug these two items a long time ago but have never gotten a good ID for what they are. They were dug in the SC Lowcountry in a small encampment among some pines. This was a very early site as no brass buttons were found, only pewter flat buttons and round balls. A 52nd, 71st, and an RP were found in addition to some 1700s George type coppers. That is a ruler in inches shown in the pic to give you an idea of size.

The device shown depicts what looks like a winged Gargoyle holding a sickle with a globe at it's feet. Behind the creature is an owl, and below the owl at the bottom is a sun burst. Above the open window is an hour glass. On each side of this device are tubes that would have been supported by pins, one being larger as if to be the hinge and the other smaller as if it was the locking. From the behind shot you can see a stud in the center that may have been how the inner workings had been mounted inside. I have included a second piece that was dug nearby that is very similar in gilt and material but may have nothing to do with the larger item.

Anyone know what these items are?

jewelf.JPG

jewelB.JPG

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

That appears to be a good possibility! It definitely appears to be part of some kind of locking mechanism of sorts. It is a good chance that the other piece of the mechanism is still out and probably very near where you found the piece in the pics.

No idea on the lower piece in the pics other than it may have just been some sort of decoration thus the mounting holes.

Frank

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
I would think it has something to do with time. The little window is like the date window on a watch and the devil seems to be pointing at it.
is there writing on the round things on each side of it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would think it has something to do with time. The little window is like the date window on a watch and the devil seems to be pointing at it.
is there writing on the round things on each side of it?

Sorry no writing. I broke out my jeweler's loop and even looked inside the designs and no letters. I did notice that perched on top of the hour glass is a rooster.

Not sure if this helps but using the loop I verified the stud on the back is actually a tube and I also notice that the lip of the back is indented as if a back piece snapped into place.

In my mind their had to be some functionality with the open window as if something inside could be rotated almost like maybe a disc with numbers to represent days of the month sort of like a calendar if there ever was such a thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These two plain face pewter buttons and what might be part of the underside of a musket came from the same site.

I thought it was a kind of crude but neat design on the brass piece.

gunp.JPG

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At first glance of the photos (without reading the description,) I thought it was the top to a vintage hinged ink well, and it could possibly be one. The open area would hold the quill. After reading the description, the items on the front are gravestone symbols: Winged person: Ascension to Heaven. Sickle & Hourglass: Time. Rooster: Awaking death & resurrection. Owl: Wisdom.

After seeing the symbols and knowing it came from South Carolina's Lowcountry, I thought it might be some type of VooDoo trinket.

My next thoughts from the symbols went to the Victorian era where in 'death' it became customary for families to go through elaborate rituals to commemorate the dead. No other time in history was death so elaborate. Also during the Victorian times, there were metal (iron) gravestones. These were waaaaay too spooky looking. I thought perhaps this item could have been on a gravestone, somewhat like a 'locket' that would have held the person's hair. (Another creepy Victorian ritual.)Victorian Era: Rules and costumes of mourning in the Victorian period

I also had thoughts of a Victorian chatelaine or some type of fob. The fob idea I thought was a pretty good one until realizing the 2 hinged post areas would make the relief graphic sideways.

Another idea was some type of jewelry that was used during a Freemason's ritual.

So after my thoughts and ramblings, I still don't know what it is, but my best guesstimate is a Fob. Maybe something I've said will spark an idea for someone else.

:)
Breezie
Gravestone.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi;

Dug these two items a long time ago but have never gotten a good ID for what they are. They were dug in the SC Lowcountry in a small encampment among some pines. This was a very early site as no brass buttons were found, only pewter flat buttons and round balls. A 52nd, 71st, and an RP were found in addition to some 1700s George type coppers. That is a ruler in inches shown in the pic to give you an idea of size.

The device shown depicts what looks like a winged Gargoyle holding a sickle with a globe at it's feet. Behind the creature is an owl, and below the owl at the bottom is a sun burst. Above the open window is an hour glass. On each side of this device are tubes that would have been supported by pins, one being larger as if to be the hinge and the other smaller as if it was the locking. From the behind shot you can see a stud in the center that may have been how the inner workings had been mounted inside. I have included a second piece that was dug nearby that is very similar in gilt and material but may have nothing to do with the larger item.

Anyone know what these items are?

View attachment 943926

View attachment 943930

MYTIKKER predecessor? ;)Tikker

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread