Eastern Oregon Roadside snapshots

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Not sure if this building was a school, church, or community building. It has been sitting vacant for as long as I can remember. It looks like someone has started to fix it up. No one was around when I stopped but I see new shingles going on the roof, and some other building materials around back.

I never have taken a picture of this before, because we had a huge forest fire on that mountain in the background. That was about 8 or 9 years ago. The white trunks are what is left of the big trees that were once there.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 118
  • 00777.jpg
    00777.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 81

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is kinda hard to determine just lookin at it. Is there still an outhouse (or outhouses) present? Probably not true in every case, but most old schools I've seen had a fancier outhouse set up than a church. Usually two separate ones in different corners of the yard. School outhouses were in use more than church outhouses, where just one might suffice. Just in the ones I've seen, and sometimes that probably wasn't the case. Looks like a pretty nice building in a remote part of the country, so we can probably assume it was a multi-use building during its time.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photo's ron. For once, I actually studied the photo's for several minutes trying to figure out what the building was without thinking of what a great place to MD. You got me good. LOL.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photo's ron. For once, I actually studied the photo's for several minutes trying to figure out what the building was without thinking of what a great place to MD. You got me good. LOL.

lol...i was thinking 'good thing they have cows to keep the grass mowed'...that building should be covered in moss an vines

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
795796d1368585336-eastern-oregon-roadside-snapshots-009.jpg

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the nice photos. This view is looking so familiar to me. Is it by the side of 395?

395-1.png

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
795796d1368585336-eastern-oregon-roadside-snapshots-009.jpg

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the nice photos. This view is looking so familiar to me. Is it by the side of 395?

395-1.png
No this is along state hwy 31 at Summer Lake Oregon. I'll post a couple I took the other day on 395 in another post.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Wow, that is kinda hard to determine just lookin at it. Is there still an outhouse (or outhouses) present? Probably not true in every case, but most old schools I've seen had a fancier outhouse set up than a church. Usually two separate ones in different corners of the yard. School outhouses were in use more than church outhouses, where just one might suffice. Just in the ones I've seen, and sometimes that probably wasn't the case. Looks like a pretty nice building in a remote part of the country, so we can probably assume it was a multi-use building during its time.

Thanks for your input RGINN, I never thought about the outhouse'(s) Judging by the size of the ranches in the area, it would have been a long way to travel to school for a lot of kids, but folks had larger family's back then. Even if it was a school, I think they would use it for a multipurpose building.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Looks like in its earliest carnation it was a school, later porch added makes it look like it was converted to a home. Maybe.

Anyway nice pics.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a one room school house built in 1890.

Summer Lake, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for your input RGINN, I never thought about the outhouse'(s) Judging by the size of the ranches in the area, it would have been a long way to travel to school for a lot of kids, but folks had larger family's back then. Even if it was a school, I think they would use it for a multipurpose building.

You have to remember back then farms and ranches were much smaller. Usually small homesteads 150 acres or so in size. As people sold out and moved on the farms and ranches got a little bigger. That's how my grandpa started out with a small homestead over by Durkee, Or. By the time he was done he had around 3000 acres.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Its a one room school house built in 1890.

Summer Lake, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the info 2screwed! Guess I should have done a google search.

You have to remember back then farms and ranches were much smaller. Usually small homesteads 150 acres or so in size. As people sold out and moved on the farms and ranches got a little bigger. That's how my grandpa started out with a small homestead over by Durkee, Or. By the time he was done he had around 3000 acres.
Thanks for the info! Guess I should have done a google search.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the one room school house I went to here in California. Cool thanks for the flash back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread