Ebay international shipping

robtx38

Greenie
Jul 17, 2011
I put my Cool Cam Polaroid camera on Ebay last night. I woke up to find a bid on it, I was happy until I seen the guy is in Italy. I put no international shipping in my description. I looked his feedback up and its 100%. But I heard Italy is a crap shoot on delivery or stolen packages. I've had success in other countries, but I quit selling overseas when I sent a $100 camera to China and customer said he never got it >:(. Does anyone else sell overseas??

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Yes, but I only list certain items that way. You should be covered through Paypal/Ebay, be sure to ship Priority International for POD.
I only offer Priority International Flat Rate Shipping.

I think you'll be fine.

Good luck.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
robtx38 said:
I put my Cool Cam Polaroid camera on Ebay last night. I woke up to find a bid on it, I was happy until I seen the guy is in Italy. I put no international shipping in my description. I looked his feedback up and its 100%. But I heard Italy is a crap shoot on delivery or stolen packages. I've had success in other countries, but I quit selling overseas when I sent a $100 camera to China and customer said he never got it >:(. Does anyone else sell overseas??
Auction isn't even begun to be over yet... an did you block him thru your auction or did you just type no oversea shipping??? cause if you didn't block the country thru your auction your S O L... You can always hope someone from USA bids an he doesn't rebid.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't ship to Italy. Do you have any "preferences" set up for international buyers? Especially in regards to shipping? Priority International is expensive, the buyer may retract his bid if you message him as to the shipping method you will HAVE to use in order to cover your own butt.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found through 10+ years of trading collectible cards through the mail and selling online that there are 2 countries I will never ship to: Italy and Brazil. You have to specifically set your shipping options when you set up an auction. You cannot just state you don't ship overseas in the description. My advice: cancel the bid or end the auction early and re-list it with correct shipping options.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
jerseyben said:
I have found through 10+ years of trading collectible cards through the mail and selling online that there are 2 countries I will never ship to: Italy and Brazil. You have to specifically set your shipping options when you set up an auction. You cannot just state you don't ship overseas in the description. My advice: cancel the bid or end the auction early and re-list it with correct shipping options.

Good to know, thanks

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
If you are going to sell cameras and exculde Japan you are losing out on some serious camera collecters.
Mike

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robtx38 said:

I've been selling on ebay for 12 years and usually ship internationally. I guess that I've been lucky because I ship to Italy quite often and many of those items are pocket watches and other jewelry that always make it to their final destination. I too have had people bid on my auctions from other countries when I distinctly stated that I will not ship internationally. Here's how I handle that situation:

- If the person has 100% positive feedback I might send the buyer a message to see what kind of communication there is. I explain that I wasn't offering International shipping but if they are willing to pay the extra postage I will consider shipping to them.

- As mentioned earlier, whenever you list an item and offer International shipping you have the option to exclude any countries that you don't feel comfortable shipping to.

- Many watch dealers that I know will only ship to Italy via Registered Mail because it's the only way to really be able to track your package. These are locked up while in transit and need to be signed for on their end.

- Cancel their bid and put them on you blocked bidders list. Simple as that. I've had to do this many times.

Personally this isn't a real high dollar item so I would just cancel the bid. It's not worth the headache for the money involved. [I'm just assuming it's a red camera and not the pink]

There are plenty of US bidders that will want the camera. :wink:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Italy has a lot of restricted items.

Prohibitions

Albums of any kind (of photographs, postcards, postage stamps, etc.).

Arms and weapons.

Articles of platinum or gold; jewelry; and other valuable articles unless sent as insured Priority Mail International parcels.

Artificial flowers and fruits and accessories for them.

Bells and other musical instruments and parts thereof.

Cartridge caps; cartridges.

Clocks and supplies for clocks.

Compound medicaments and medicines.

Coral mounted in any way.

Ether and chloroform.

Exposed photographic and cinematographic films.

Footwear of any kind.

Haberdashery and sewn articles of any kind, including trimmings and lace; handkerchiefs; scarves; shawls, needlework including stockings and gloves; bonnets, caps, and hats of any kind.

Hair and articles made of hair.

Human remains.

Leather goods.

Lighters and their parts, including lighter flints.

Live bees, leeches, and silkworms.

Live plants and animals.

Nutmeg, vanilla; sea salt, rock salt; saffron.

Parasites and predators of harmful insects.

Perfumery goods of all kinds (except soap).

Playing cards of any kind.

Postage stamps in sealed or unsealed First-Class Mail International shipments.

Radioactive materials.

Ribbons for typewriters.

Roasted or ground coffee and its substitutes; roasted chicory.

Saccharine and all products containing saccharine.

Salted, smoked or otherwise prepared meats; fats; and lard.

Tobacco.

Toys not made wholly of wood.

Treated skins and furs.

Weapons of any kind and spare parts for them.

Restrictions

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); traveler’s checks; jewelry; and other precious or valuable articles must be enclosed in an insured Priority Mail International parcel in order to be mailable to addressees in Italy.

Postage stamps for philatelic purposes are admitted in registered First-Class Mail International shipments on condition that the package bears a completed Form 2976 and the addressee complies with the Italian financial regulations.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT said:
Personally this isn't a real high dollar item so I would just cancel the bid. It's not worth the headache for the money involved. [I'm just assuming it's a red camera and not the pink]

There are plenty of US bidders that will want the camera. :wink:
It's the harder to find one, neon pink and yellow.

OP
OP
R

robtx38

Greenie
Jul 17, 2011
Yeah its a pink and yellow camera...I'm hoping it gets to at least the $125 range. I've got 9 watchers on it and 2 more questions that ask if I will ship overseas to them. One in Indonesia and the other is in Russia. On 1hand I think the more interest the higher the bids even overseas, on the other hand is it worth the gamble. I paid $5 for it so not a big investment, but the potential money would be very nice.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buff4 said:
also list in the ad that you would consider 1st class (under 4 lbs) if the buyer agreed to take full responsibilty for the item, and waived there right to any claim through Ebay, Paypal, or a chargeback on their credit card.
Regards.
John - Top Rated Ebay PowerSeller.

Have you actually experienced this firsthand, where you put the above icon_that.gif in your listing and the package was lost, the customer flied an "item not received" case against you and Ebay sided with you?

Attachments

• icon_that.gif
    icon_that.gif
    576 bytes · Views: 695

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buff4 said:
No, after I implemented this statement in my ad, there was never another lost package shipped 1st class. Not only that, but if there had been, I was told by a Paypal rep that seeing this was stated in the auction, it basically waived the buyers right to any claim. There are people that will claim that they did not receive their item, knowing full well they did because they know that we have no proof they did. Buy requesting 1st class, they are argeeing to waive their right to any claim, just like signing a contract.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'm gonna look into this myself. I believe you, but I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth myself. I recently quit offering international shipping on certain less expensive items, because the cost of priority international over rode the cost effectiveness of them buying the item. I've sold many items to international buyers in the past but have become leery of it lately. This seems to be a viable alternative.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Buff4 said:
No, after I implemented this statement in my ad, there was never another lost package shipped 1st class. Not only that, but if there had been, I was told by a Paypal rep that seeing this was stated in the auction, it basically waived the buyers right to any claim. There are people that will claim that they did not receive their item, knowing full well they did because they know that we have no proof they did. Buy requesting 1st class, they are argeeing to waive their right to any claim, just like signing a contract.
Hope this helps.

Please do not tell people this. Read it for yourself, Paypal's policy on international shipping:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...tent_ID=security/seller_protection_learn_more

Just like ebay's own policy you as the seller are ALWAYS required to provide tracking for all shipments. For sales over $250, you are also required to provide signature confirmation of delivery.

Shipping options aside, whether you choose international priority or 1st class, the above rules still apply. A waiver or "liability statement" stated in your auction is just a fairy tale and I am surprised ebay has not flagged your auctions for such practices.

cracker

Apr 1, 2009
coming to a town near you
Detector(s) used
several
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't ship anything overseas without tracking myself. I don't think a disclaimer in your listing will save you.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseyben said:
Please do not tell people this. Read it for yourself, Paypal's policy on international shipping:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...tent_ID=security/seller_protection_learn_more

Just like ebay's own policy you as the seller are ALWAYS required to provide tracking for all shipments. For sales over $250, you are also required to provide signature confirmation of delivery.

Shipping options aside, whether you choose international priority or 1st class, the above rules still apply. A waiver or "liability statement" stated in your auction is just a fairy tale and I am surprised ebay has not flagged your auctions for such practices.

I didn't know about the signature confirmation requirement. Thanks!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

I've shipped to Brazil before while trading coins (registered), and it was fine (you pay $11 extra to the cost of shipment).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread