mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In fact....there's a YouTube video on how to make the Cen-Tech pinpointer better....i.e replacing the cheesy red button with a toggle switch, and adding a vibration motor to it so you can "feel" the targets better. Personally I would steer clear of the switch that stays on if you bump it, since knowing MY luck I will accidentally leave it on and run the battery down. Maybe a different style of switch, depending on what the user wants...but the premise is the same.

AND, there's another video of a different style of pinpointer....and I have not yet decided if I like it or not. You be the judge! HH!

DeJa :coffee2:

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just try and be as accurate with your machine as possible, i have noticed with my new F4, without using a pinpointer my target holes are WAY smaller than with my old machine because i can pinpoint properly and find my target pretty quickly. I think pin pointers are good and bad. I think they can make recovery time faster, but also make a detectorist lazy. If you think about it, someone hits a target and thinks to himself/herself, i have a pinpointer ill just dig the ground up and let the pin pointer find it. Use your machine to the best of your/its ability and you should have no problem finding 90% of your targets without a problem.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This got a little more intense than I thought, lol. I found someone who might be able to find me a pro pointer for really cheap, so hopefully that will work out.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the majority has concluded this ain't no debate..don't hesitate....get the Harbor Freight... You'll have more $ to spend on a date...then you won't have too...umm....lol...srry couldn't help myself!

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
I believe the majority has concluded this ain't no debate..don't hesitate....get the Harbor Freight... You'll have more $ to spend on a date...then you won't have too...umm....lol...srry couldn't help myself!

A poet...and you didn't even know it!!! Nice!!! :laughing7:

DeJa

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes deja......perhaps I should get that published...lol

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Elbandido said:
I remember when a coin probe was a long metal pointy thing with
a wood handle. like 10$
You located the target before you dug it.
Think i am going to pick up a couple of those HF ones to try.
They are cheap enough so why not.
If I'm going to spend 130.00 plus on something I'm getting a compadre.
Money is tight everywhere in this economy and many of us just don't have the extra cash
to throw around.

Try The Zip lock bag Idea I works!!!! The HF Will Last a Lot Longer I'm Not Dissing it Much Just Was A More Logical Choice On The Propointer For Me!!!!

If you want to Meet Up For A hunt Some time Send A Pm If the Weather Cooperates We Can Be there Chug!!!
I Know Red Has Not read this Post Yet I will Know When!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ chug....right on. You know...I'm only 30...but I'm old school & old fashioned...& a expensive pinpointer...it's fun to get UR hands dirty!!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check local pawn shops and the ads for local auction houses. One Tnet member got a couple of pinpointers at auction for I believe $10 each.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
Hard to find, last a long time...& don't make you cuss? Are we talking about a *pinpointer here? Oh Chug...go chug a paps & quit dissing on the HF. I bet you have a collection of HF's...don't ya?

Yes we are talking about a pinpointer, it is a big help. Chug has gone through several pinpointers, and he likes the Garrett the best, when we get me a detector, I'm also going to get myself a Garrett, Chug doesn't drink paps, he wasn't dissing HF, all he was saying is what he prefers, and no we don't have any HF's, sorry to disapoint you! ;D Red

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've lived with the HF pinpointer for a few weeks now, and the only beef I have with it, is when you get into a very heavily mineralized area....it can give you some false readings. Also if you have an iron target that has a substantial halo, it can be hard to tell exactly where the item is. It does a great job for what it is, and how much you pay for it. I really like the detectors with the built in probes, but that's waaaayy more than I can afford! HH!

DeJa

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different tools for different needs. One of my friends hunts maybe once or twice a month. I suggested a HF to him.

I hunt three to seven times a week. I've tried different pointers and you can have my ProPointer when you can pry it from my cold, dead hand. :tongue3:

HH

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i didnt know there was a harbor freight near me...might as well save myself some money and just get one of those. The propointer sounds nice, but unless someone wanted to be charitable, its not in my budget at the moment

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the issue your having is the budget you set. At 70-80 dollars your way over the HF model and not to far off from the ProPointer. I've seen them sell used for $100 which is only $20 over your budget. From what I've heard the pinpointers in the 40-50 dollar range are basically the same as the HF. The over a $100 models are more durable and designed a little better. So scratch the 70-80 range. Basically your decision is $17 or $100 give or take a little.

Shane

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Here is my two cents, and hoping it is worth 3cents to someone. I didn't know that Harbor Freight had a pinpointer, but I am going to look to get one. I used to go without a pinpointer and realized that didn't work so well. The cheap one I purchased was an improvement, but...... Now I have a Sun Ray and love it for two reasons: It is powered off my detector batteries (seems to make no additional drainage at all) and I hear it through my earphones--don't have to take them off. Also, it has great range, seemingly a full 3 inches. I don't know what brands they work with but it is now married to my MXT with no discontent in sight.

I tell people when they ask me about detectors to buy the very best they can possibly afford. It does make a difference. But a HF detector is better than none, and seemingly better than most. We live near 2 HF stores, so I can return it within 30 days for a new one if I need to, and the extended warranty may be affordable and worthwhile if you don't live next door to one. Still, although I have never used a propointer, I love my Sun Ray.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this subject has been beaten into the ground over and over and over.... just like everyone one else... I have an opinion too... I but I will back mine up with facts... This thread has not shown the following... just back and forth arguing of which is better, so....

For those who want to know why the Pro Pointer is better.... here it is...

#1 The Pro Pointer IS more sensitive
#2 The Pro Pointer has a proximity sensor (it get faster the closer you get tot he target)
#3 The Pro Pointer has an on off switch its not a button so it is hands free (don't have to hold the button down)
#4 The Pro Pointer has a LED light
#5 The Pro Pointer has a vibrating motor in it that is in sync with the proximity sensor (its vibrates faster the closer you get)
#6 The Pro Pointer is smaller and you can get further into a hole
#7 The Pro Pointer is far far more durable
#8 The Pro Pointer has detection up the shaft not just at the tip (yes that helps a lot)
#9 The Pro Pointer has a 2 YEAR Warranty (but its not likely you ever use it)
#10 The Pro Pointer can be made water proof by covering the speaker holes and the on/off switch

Downfalls of the Pro Pointer

Its costly but well worth it
No modifications can be made but you don't need to
not waterproof but it can be to be water proof

When you have a quality product it speaks for it self... and the Pro Pointer does.

Did I miss anything? so in my opinion the FACTS say it all

Chukers

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should clear a few things up!

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Firstly. your price range says Whites.

Secondly. Comparing a Cen Tech to a Pro Pointer is like comparing a Kia to a 1 Ton 4wd.

I have used/tested them ALL except the Pistol Probe and the Treasure Mate. The Pro Pointer is the only one in it for the long haul.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get what you can afford. The HF is like $20 the Bulls eye is like $75. The Pro Pointer (which I use) is like $130. Why drive a Lexus when you can drive a Pinto? You wanna know why you should pay $130 for the Pro Pointer?? Just buy the HF for $20. When you stomp it into pieces then get the bulls eye. When you smash it on a tree get the pro pointer and it will cost you $225 that way. :icon_pirat:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
biggmike said:
Just get what you can afford. The HF is like $20 the Bulls eye is like $75. The Pro Pointer (which I use) is like $130. Why drive a Lexus when you can drive a Pinto? You wanna know why you should pay $130 for the Pro Pointer?? Just buy the HF for $20. When you stomp it into pieces then get the bulls eye. When you smash it on a tree get the pro pointer and it will cost you $225 that way. :icon_pirat:

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

My first HF One Was held by the Probe Part And Smashed On my Truck Bed!!!! Repeatedly :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread