DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see justifying spending that much on a pinpointer. All its meant to do is help you find a target in the ground, already picked up by the metal detector. If most of them don't even go a couple inches, why so expensive? Theres gotta be something that does just the same, but reasonable. A $130 price tag is ridiculous in my opinion

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
I don't see justifying spending that much on a pinpointer. All its meant to do is help you find a target in the ground, already picked up by the metal detector. If most of them don't even go a couple inches, why so expensive? Theres gotta be something that does just the same, but reasonable. A $130 price tag is ridiculous in my opinion
I thought this at 1st also until mine broke after a month & after purchasing a propointer & showing friends they also quit purchasing the harbor frieghts every other month & bought a propointer

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kayden said:
Bobby S said:
I thought this at 1st also until mine broke after a month & after purchasing a propointer & showing friends they also quit purchasing the harbor frieghts every other month & bought a propointer

Well I def don't want the harbor freight either, but thats a like a $110 difference between the pro pointer to work with...theres gotta be others that work well that are mid priced

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
kayden said:
Bobby S said:

Well I def don't want the harbor freight either, but thats a like a $110 difference between the pro pointer to work with...theres gotta be others that work well that are mid priced
You could be right However if you take this hobby serious you will own a propointer sooner or later I have read several threads on here that others wished they had purchased a propointerat 1st instead of wasting money on others

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that it is probably the best...I hope for the price it would be. But i can't ask for a $130 pinpointer as a present and for now I can't spend that kind of money. I do take this hobby plenty serious. You can ask the people who know me on here, I used to be very active. But I realized buying the most expensive stuff isn't exactly necessary. As much as everyone wants to tell me to get the pro pointer, theres gotta be something else. Forget the price range i have in my topic title...i just wanna get other options

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bobby, you said you just wanted something to locate the target. Try the HF. Its only $17, what do you have to loose. You can ask for something else for the present. Frank

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HF is a good one to start with Bobby, but anybody that has used a Propointer will never go back. HF pinpointer doesn't have the depth in the dirt, can't detect from the side and the depth adjustment is always getting bumped. I have 2 propointers. The second one I got while my original was in for repairs. I tried using the HF PP before buying the second Propointer but couldn't tolerate its poor performance.

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kayden said:
Bobby S said:
kayden said:
Bobby S said:

You could be right However if you take this hobby serious you will own a propointer sooner or later I have read several threads on here that others wished they had purchased a propointerat 1st instead of wasting money on others

So why do you make the leap and say the "if you are serious about the hobby you will own a propointer"? I am "serious", but I also don't have $130 to throw at a pinpointer. Heck, I remember when NO ONE had the pinpointers, and you had to just wave your detector over the hole to find the coin! LOL! And I think the guys back then were just as "serious" about detecting as those are today WITH the pinpointers. I'm just saying. The pinpointer is simply a tool, albeit one that makes life a little easier and makes coin recovery faster. I just bought the Cen-Tech pinpointer for $17, and granted, you DO have to be a little more gentle with them, but rest assured if I spend $130 on one I will be a LOT more gentle on it! LOL! I will live with my inexpensive pointer for the time being, and see how it hold up. I don't abuse my equipment, drop it in the water, probe mud puddles, or use it as a digging tool....so I suspect it will last long enough. PLUS, if it ever dies, I will just take it to my local HB dealer and get another one. They are great about exchanges on items that no longer work properly. Just my 2 cents, from a guy that is serious about detecting, but working on a budget. HH!

DeJa

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Frank, listen to him, he is very wise & knows what he's talking about. I have a pro pointer, & a HF.....& the only reason Im on my second HB is because it's the one I use, & left it at my last detecting location. Quite frankly, I think it has better depth perception. And as said before, if you've spent $ on a good detector, don't waste anymore on a expensive pinpointer. You could buy about 8 HF's for what the Garrett goes for. And with every device made by machine or man, there's always a chance of malfunction or mistake....just as there is with the Garrett. But to date, my HB works just fine...& is just as good as the pro!!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
I agree with Frank, listen to him, he is very wise & knows what he's talking about. I have a pro pointer, & a HF.....& the only reason Im on my second HB is because it's the one I use, & left it at my last detecting location. Quite frankly, I think it has better depth perception. And as said before, if you've spent $ on a good detector, don't waste anymore on a expensive pinpointer. You could buy about 8 HF's for what the Garrett goes for. And with every device made by machine or man, there's always a chance of malfunction or mistake....just as there is with the Garrett. But to date, my HB works just fine...& is just as good as the pro!!
You have a Hf & a propointer & actually think they are equal ...Come on are you serious?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bobby S said:
So I never owned a pinpointer before and figured I could use one so I dont have to end up digging huge holes. It would be something I could ask for for christmas. What pinpointer is good for around $70-80

Great tools Are Hard to Find!! Last A Long Time And Don't Make you Cuss!!!!

You stated the Price range and What You Wanted!!! More than Likely You Will Get More than One Present!!! Have them Pool There Resources An Get Something that Will Last!!!!! I Wont Say It Again HH Chug

No Comment On eye Candy's Last Post!!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to find, last a long time...& don't make you cuss? Are we talking about a *pinpointer here? Oh Chug...go chug a paps & quit dissing on the HF. I bet you have a collection of HF's...don't ya?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Even after fifty years of hard tectin, I never really cared to get one. Sometimes I wish I had a pin-pointer. Maybe someday i'll get one! If they would come out with one that cost about five bucks I would not get it. If they come out with one that costs $200 I would just simply not get it. I just don't get it I guess.

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
30 dollars more than the pro pointer i can buy a Tesoro Compadre and use that to pinpoint with LMAO.

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chug and Red said:
Bobby S said:
So I never owned a pinpointer before and figured I could use one so I dont have to end up digging huge holes. It would be something I could ask for for christmas. What pinpointer is good for around $70-80

Great tools Are Hard to Find!! Last A Long Time And Don't Make you Cuss!!!!

You stated the Price range and What You Wanted!!! More than Likely You Will Get More than One Present!!! Have them Pool There Resources An Get Something that Will Last!!!!! I Wont Say It Again HH Chug

No Comment On eye Candy's Last Post!!!!
Hello fellow Vancouverite!!!!

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember when a coin probe was a long metal pointy thing with
a wood handle. like 10$
You located the target before you dug it.
Think i am going to pick up a couple of those HF ones to try.
They are cheap enough so why not.
If I'm going to spend 130.00 plus on something I'm getting a compadre.
Money is tight everywhere in this economy and many of us just don't have the extra cash
to throw around.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on El....you'll love it/them. I feel the same way. As a matte of fact...last week there was a freedom double coil on eBay for $150. Built in pin pointer! People don't think about these things

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It just sort of bums me out that there are those that think you HAVE to spend a fortune on stuff before it's any good. My father is the same way....."gotta have the best...gotta have the newest....anything less than what he has is junk", yada, yada, yada. Heck, there are are guys out there MAKING their own detectors!! So yeah, you can go out there and spend a boatload on the newest, latest and greatest...but why? So you can impress your detector-buddies? I get what works....even if that means loading up the shopping basket at my local Harbor Freight! Bought my rock pick there...my knee pads...batteries....pinpointer...digging tools, and they even have the trash/treasure aprons there for $1.50....and they don't have some dealer's name printed on it. Sometimes you get what you pay for....and other times you get something that works great and saves you BANK! LOL!!

DeJa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread