What's new

Electric Collar ???

CarolinaFinder2011

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
38
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Found this in a container of old electronics ( capacitors - resistors) from the 50s and 60s. It looks like some sort of collar with wires attached.
 

Attachments

  • N1.webp
    N1.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 443
  • N3.webp
    N3.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 461
  • N4.webp
    N4.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 459
  • N.webp
    N.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 456
It may be part of some type of vintage electrical (battery) medical quackery. There were all sorts of strange electrical devices invented to 'improve health.' I suggested a corset because of the material and eyelets. Since this came out of a box from the 50s/60s, it might not have anything to do with medical quackery.:dontknow: Breezie
 

Attachments

  • ElectricCorset.webp
    ElectricCorset.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
Looks like at heat tape,for what,dunknow :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
what would an electric corsett do? very odd is our past
 
Upvote 0
supposedly it make the "breast" grow in size -- via electric "growth" stimulation --same BS as electrical stimulatiion for hair regrowth (baldness) in men - too bad the flat chested gals and the bald headed guys did not find one another. :wink:

that might be a heat wrap collar to go around a water pipe to keep the water pipes from freezing in the winter
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ideas :icon_thumright: Breezie I never thought of it being something to wear but that's an idea. It's amazing all the things that have been sold over the years as health an beauty aids.
HPD I am not practicing anything of the such ;D LOL
I think it might be a heat wrap collar like Ivan said. I will try and get the ohm meter out tomorrow and check it. I am in the process of cleaning out two storage buildings and I am finding interesting things daily. Hopefully will be posting more tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help.
 
Upvote 0
I didn't catch how big the thing is.

But, it looks like copper grounding wrap.

Sometimes copper piping has a reaction to the fluid running through it and makes pinholes in the copper pipe. Many electricians used to make a copper wrap with grounding wires on it, to neutralize it. Its not as used today as it used to, because of pvc, but, I see many ranchers here still use it.

They buy it by the roll, and make whatever size they need.

Couldn't find a colorized picture, but it is copper.

copper grounding braid.webp



Beth
 
Upvote 0
CarolinaFinder2011 said:
Thanks for the ideas :icon_thumright: Breezie I never thought of it being something to wear but that's an idea. It's amazing all the things that have been sold over the years as health an beauty aids.
HPD I am not practicing anything of the such ;D LOL
Did you check it with the ohm meter? The guy in your avatar may be trying to use one as a belt.
 
Upvote 0
It might be an internal radio antenna . :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Yes, the old medical quackery was funny. But now you can buy any number of pills off the TV for $19.99 plus shipping and handling that will enlarge just about anything! And they are all guaranteed by and actor that is dressed like a doctor, so they must work? M :laughing9: nty.
 
Upvote 0
I'm with Mrs Oroblanco. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
CarolinaFinder2011 said:
Thanks for the other ideas. I pulled the meter out and it is reading around 5 ohms.
I would be tempted to hook up 120 volts to see if its a heater but I dont know a safe way for you to do it. The insulation on the lead wires look like those from a stove.
 
Upvote 0
the cords, cloth sort of look like a asbestos woven cord.
used as a heat insulator
I would hook a multimetes to the ends to see if it can carry a charge
Brady
 
Upvote 0
And so looking at where the wires are attached.......1 to the loom in the insulated rivets (the middle bit)......and 1 to the outside and all round?
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom