All Treasure Hunting

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tips you are talking about are very high in silver content. They are soldered onto the copper with silver bearing solder. I just use a propane torch. Hold the copper part with vise grips or pliers, heat the soldered joint until red, then lightly and carefully tap them onto a work bench, metal plate, cinder block, etc., the nice little silver square will come right off. They stay hotter longer than you think. Use caution when doing this. Safety glasses would be a good thing.

Save them until you get enough to mess with. There are several people here on T-NET that can recommended who to send them to. They will in turn melt them down to pure silver. Just remember, they need to make a little bit of money on their end of the deal too.

Bob

OP
OP
Metalmole

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID, XLT spectrum, Coinmaster TR, Whites Prizm 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you I havent tried anything yet because I had just thought about them the other day and remembered they were silver. I will definatley try heating them and removing them thanks

OP
OP
Metalmole

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID, XLT spectrum, Coinmaster TR, Whites Prizm 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vabuckhunter said:
i am an hvac service tech and deal with allot of contactors are all contacts silver?

I know a lot of them are but not all. They use the silver because it conducts better and doesnt carrode like other metals.

The ones I have will not come of with heat so I will have to try something else.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
RJGMC said:
The tips you are talking about are very high in silver content. They are soldered onto the copper with silver bearing solder. I just use a propane torch. Hold the copper part with vise grips or pliers, heat the soldered joint until red, then lightly and carefully tap them onto a work bench, metal plate, cinder block, etc., the nice little silver square will come right off. They stay hotter longer than you think. Use caution when doing this. Safety glasses would be a good thing.

Save them until you get enough to mess with. There are several people here on T-NET that can recommended who to send them to. They will in turn melt them down to pure silver. Just remember, they need to make a little bit of money on their end of the deal too.

Bob

This is how our local yard removes the silver.

Awesome advice!!!!

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
#1 reason they use silver is because silver does not arc when the points open and close, or so I've always been told.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions