Eliabeth penny ?

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Elizabeth penny, but it looks fake, silver looks like it's flaking off.

P1030029.JPGP1030030.JPG
and the legend dosen't look right.

Upvote 5
I certainly wouldn't know, and your gut feelings usually have good reason.
However could just been a bubble of impurity in the silver, it only looks that way at top of OB. ?

A lot depends on the context in which it was found. Were other finds from that period made?

Well theres no issue with the Legend, those are both spot on for a penny.
E D G ROSA SINE SPINA
CIVITAS LONDON

Just a poorer quality issue. Its the halfgroats I get the most often, these pennies are not popping up all the time, so welcome back........

Looks good to me, nice catch.

Thanks everyone for your comments and Crusader for the ID, I've had a closer look and there are two pellets behind the bust
so that makes it a half groat. The chips and scratches made me think it might be a fake but it turned out to be wrong.
Dave.

Thanks everyone for your comments and Crusader for the ID, I've had a closer look and there are two pellets behind the bust
so that makes it a half groat. The chips and scratches made me think it might be a fake but it turned out to be wrong.
Dave.

2 pellets/halfgroat makes sense still, as they had the same Obv legend. Shame its a halfgroat in some ways, but any hammered day is good.

I'd do a back-flip if I found it. Believe me when I tell you, that would be quite the feat!

Yes Crusader, I love finding hammered and glad I was proved wrong, penny or half groat I'm happy, a good find after all.
Dave.

If you are not 100% satisfied with your find please return it to either myself or Treblehunter. Both of us would be more then happy to take it off your hands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back