End Of Season Find

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
That's a very good find. I was in Anaconda in June and meant to call you, but the week went by with many activities with a son and family.

OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Hey, it's the thought that counts. Maybe next year. Not looking forward to winter.I don't check here as much as I should and it was a pretty slow year detecting. Time spent with family is priceless especially seeing how far away you live.

Last edited:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Things seem to slow down this yr. Only 3 silver dimes, a few I H cents, and a XF+ 1937-D Buffalo nickel. Oh, I found the assorted cheap rings (3) and some spent bullets. I'll use the famous phrase that Cub fans always use: "Wait'll next year!"......been a Cub fan for 60+ yrs.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Never been to Anaconda yet, but found an old pin that said Anaconda for state capital here in Billings.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Awakeman (oops, I might have misspelled), check out that pin, it's important. I can't remember his name, but the guy who started the copper refining in Anaconda (1880s) wanted Anaconda to be the state capital. My guess? That pin might be 130 yrs old and might have some value.

OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, The Anaconda for State Capital pin is worth some bucks $$. I payed $90.00 for one here in Anaconda and bought one for a friend who after seeing mine wanted one. I payed $80.00 for that one. I see they have another one at a local antique store here and they want $80.00 for it. There is quite the history on how wealthy copper mining barons Marcus Daily wanted and promoted Anaconda for state capitol while William Clark wanted and promoted Helena for state capitol. They both spent huge amounts of money for their own separate selfish ambitions. Well we all know who won that one. Excellent find. I gave up trying to detect one and figured I better buy one before there were none left. The original 1896 pins have Ley's or Leyson on the back of the pin. Your pin find may be worth more than a lot of old coin finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goose-O. Sounds like you did pretty well. I'm happy for you Cubs fans as it has been a long wait but maybe the Cubs will be saying it was this year.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave it away to the former governor of montana. He was into dailey the old copper baron, it really held no value to me. He offered $50 on the spot but I refused. I told him to research it first and never heard back from him. He did do me a big favor without knowing it.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, oldest seated I have found is 1859, Congratz!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, The Anaconda for State Capital pin is worth some bucks $$. I payed $90.00 for one here in Anaconda and bought one for a friend who after seeing mine wanted one. I payed $80.00 for that one. I see they have another one at a local antique store here and they want $80.00 for it. There is quite the history on how wealthy copper mining barons Marcus Daily wanted and promoted Anaconda for state capitol while William Clark wanted and promoted Helena for state capitol. They both spent huge amounts of money for their own separate selfish ambitions. Well we all know who won that one. Excellent find. I gave up trying to detect one and figured I better buy one before there were none left. The original 1896 pins have Ley's or Leyson on the back of the pin. Your pin find may be worth more than a lot of old coin finds.
I have found a total of 8 of those pins, they are an awesome find!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Their made of guess what? Copper! Bet they produced a bunch of them.

OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really. 8 you say. Wow. I know the " Diggers " from here in Anaconda have detected quite a few of those pins but I sure can't seem to dig one up. There must have been more of them made and lost that I thought. Thanks for the congrats. After looking back at my finds for 2016 I really did a lot better than I thought. In saying the 1839 seated dime was my only great find wasn't exactly true as I did have some other great finds also. I certainly could have done much worse.

Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really. 8 you say. Wow. I know the " Diggers " from here in Anaconda have detected quite a few of those pins but I sure can't seem to dig one up. There must have been more of them made and lost that I thought. Thanks for the congrats. After looking back at my finds for 2016 I really did a lot better than I thought. In saying the 1839 seated dime was my only great find wasn't exactly true as I did have some other great finds also. I certainly could have done much worse.
What's funny about that, is That pin is exactly how I got to know Tim and George! I found my first one and tried to do some research on it, because I was like, "Anaconda the Capital of Montana"?!?!? that can't be right! I googled it and it brought me to their old A.T.C. page, and their videos etc. I got a phone number and got ahold of Tim, and we got together, showed finds, he told me some history on the pin, and we got out to detect and treasure hunt every once in a while. Fun times!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. I thought I was doing well here in Bozeman with 2 mercs, a rosie, and a 1917 wheatie this year.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There is said to be two caches near there by the same man, one is double eagles, ever hear of it?

OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I thought I was doing well here in Bozeman with 2 mercs, a rosie, and a 1917 wheatie this year.

Thank you. Hey, you are doing well. I went a long long time before I finally found a merc. I really wanted to do some of those street tear outs there in Bozeman this summer but just never made it down there. Seek and you will find.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

Have you ever heard of a cache of gold coins near a bridge just outside of bozeman?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have 6 now. I sold one, and the other one I gave to my girlfriend's daughter for a report on Montana in school.

Attachments

• 1480091800708.jpg
    1480091800708.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 129

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread