England old unknown find

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Found on a farm field in the colchester area. Have never had a positive ID. Has an interesting circle, line, and maybe leaf design. To me it resembles a bul. There is no design on the back. The back has a hole where it would of attached to something else. It is probably my favourite find for some strange reason lol. Thx for any help

Attachments

• IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX

Attachments

• IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    569.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    675.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    736.1 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry late reply, have been out of town on a kids hockey tournament lol. I am perfectly fine with you sending the pics to anybody. I will try to take some Better pics. I am notoriously bad at pics though! If different angles or closeups are needed just tell what.
I've sent the pictures on & asked when they are sure of the ID, they can update the export info or the PAS if they put it on there.

Using a bull's head on a vessel (I first said bucket, as many are called bucket mounts) was not uncommon. These probably had ritual meaning whilst doing a religious act. The 2 birds heads is what makes it unusual to me, as they are up-side-down & not normally present on others. Also the fixing is not the same as others. However, looking at these photo's I now get an idea. If you rest the 90 degree angle of the back piece on the top of the vessel, you can use the downwards slot on a piece of iron that fixes to the vessel & the little hole can carry the handle to the opposite side where the mirror image fitting was attached.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the export lisence. The guy who filled out my paperwork wasn't impressed with it and called it a "medival pot leg mount". Whoever approves the export lisence didn't change the ID. Not sure how hard they scrutinize the export.

:laughing7: I can hear him saying that, when in doubt give it the ol' "Medieval pot leg" reference. Wonder sometimes if the export papers just go through a rubber stamp process almost without much scrutiny. Great system just understaffed it seems to get finds processed through quick enough.

Brilliant piece you recovered, hope Cru will be able to get an answer to your query.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Some better pics of the swans, never thought to post upside down lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1754.JPG
    IMG_1754.JPG
    573.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"There is a curious 'slot' at the back of the object which looks to have housed another part of the object- so its not all there."

Perhaps part of a handle?

roman mirror 5.jpg

roman mirror 3.JPG

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please read the latest & answer the questions, if you will?

''I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The mount is very unusual and the closest stylistically are the mounts in the Llandudno hoard https://museum.wales/collections/online/?field0=string&value0=86.24H&field1=with_images&value1=on

I can't find another example with the extensions at the upper corners which do not have mounting points. The hollow reverse is typical, although the bar on the reverse is not.

It is a shame that it was granted an export license. Is there any more news on the findspot at all? I'd like to include it in my catalogue of these mounts, but a more accurate findspot would be great – but appreciate that may not be possible.

Kind regards''

Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think DCMatt is on the right path with a roman bronze mirror handle fragment:

https://www.virtual-egyptian-museum...0071.02-ZXL.jpg?Virtual-Egyptian:MET.XL.00071

Please people, kill me not, I still see a cross and other scratched signs on the piece.

And yes, i believe its roman, too: Style (bird head, akkantus motif), heavy cast quality ect.. Also (while difficult to say not having "facetime" with the find) this patina is very, very old.

Greets namxat

Upvote 0

Beshires1

Feb 5, 2016
Water Valley, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Several home built detectors, a Garrett Money Hunter TR, and a Whites Prizim IV, Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It look like that thang that "Jeeper Creeper" guy stuck in that school bus tire.................

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Wow thats great new info from the UK expert. I will try and get you the requested info. Thanks again Cru for helping with the identification. Has been killing me wondering what it could be for years now!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
I think DCMatt is on the right path with a roman bronze mirror handle fragment:

https://www.virtual-egyptian-museum...0071.02-ZXL.jpg?Virtual-Egyptian:MET.XL.00071

Please people, kill me not, I still see a cross and other scratched signs on the piece.

And yes, i believe its roman, too: Style (bird head, akkantus motif), heavy cast quality ect.. Also (while difficult to say not having "facetime" with the find) this patina is very, very old.

Greets namxat
There is definitely circles and lines etched into the center, don't think it's a cross. Looks more like leaves or petals at the direct center between 2 lines. 3 circles on each side, on the left the circles touch, on the right they overlap. The mirror handle frag is definitely interesting, but I think Cru is correct.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is definitely circles and lines etched into the center, don't think it's a cross. Looks more like leaves or petals at the direct center between 2 lines. 3 circles on each side, on the left the circles touch, on the right they overlap. The mirror handle frag is definitely interesting, but I think Cru is correct.
This is a fairly typical incised & punched decoration used on bronze Roman objects.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about a handle mount from a patera:

patera handle.jpg

patera handle4.jpg

patera handle3.JPG

patera handle2.JPG

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the main clue for it being a handle is the length of it & that is broken, so difficult to prove.

It doesn't appear to be broken. To my eye, there was another part attached in the channel on the underside.

the expert wants to publish this with others of its type

Other types of what? I've re-read the thread and I still don't quite get what you guys think this piece is. Did I miss it?

I don't mean to be a noodge. I'm just trying to learn something and perhaps add to the narrative.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't appear to be broken. To my eye, there was another part attached in the channel on the underside.

Other types of what? I've re-read the thread and I still don't quite get what you guys think this piece is. Did I miss it?

I don't mean to be a noodge. I'm just trying to learn something and perhaps add to the narrative.

Basically a Vessel Mount, sometimes it formed part of the handle. Could be a household wine jug or something like a ritual libation bowl, as the stylised bull & birds point towards.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get it now. The top portion of a handle for an oinochoe...

wine jug.JPG

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting