Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it was also the name of the german submarine code machine from world war II---the capture of one helped crack the geman naval code ---in world war II---wonder if they had anything to do with making it ? ---it was called the enigma 9 --- by the way enigma is another word for mystery ---so not so odd of a name for a code machine huh?--Ivan

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Enigma code was broken by Poland years before the war. Several copied machines were sent from Poland to England when they surrendered. The important part of the British Navy capturing the sub (not the Americans as in the movie) was the codebooks. England already had practically complete versions of the Engima machine at Bletchley Park - and even figured the Germans had added an extra wheel into the war.

Ian Fleming - James Bond's creator - worked on the project of decoding the Enigma ciphers during the war.

Fascinating book - Enigma: Capturing the Code

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yah the added wheel and code books were inprtant --- german submarine U 505--that was captured in the war now rest in chicago.ill in the usa at the muesum

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
yah the added wheel and code books were inprtant --- german submarine U 505--that was captured in the war now rest in chicago.ill in the usa at the muesum

The British borded U-110 before that with code books intact in 1941 (but already in a lead weighted bag) and lost the wallowing sub, but saved the books. U-505 was captured in 1944. Tha Canadians snagged one in there, too. I believe over a dozen Enigma machines were seized at one time or another - it was the current codebooks that mattered. Even without the books England was able to decode most messages within days.

Anyway - I don't think the watch company is the same Enigma.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I know that there was a earlier grab of a submarine and that that U 505 was later in the war ---they actually built a specia POW camp solely for these men and kept them from writing home so that the germans would think the sub was lost with all hands and not change the codes --I actually saw and poked around the U 505 german submarine at the muesum in chicago a long time ago while visiting the area---there are also the "stuffed"--- real "man eating" lions from the movie-- "the ghost and the darkness" are in that same muesum too---the loins are HUGE--- way bigger than any normal lions ---I didn't know about the candians grabbing a sub---was just wonder because the swiss are well known for fine detailed machinery --like the type you would need for a code machine---Ivan

Upvote 0

ryanc11

Jun 1, 2006
ivan salis said:
I know that there was a earlier grab of a submarine and that that U 505 was later in the war ---they actually built a specia POW camp solely for these men and kept them from writing home so that the germans would think the sub was lost with all hands and not change the codes --I actually saw and poked around the U 505 german submarine at the muesum in chicago a long time ago while visiting the area---there are also the "stuffed"--- real "man eating" lions from the movie-- "the ghost and the darkness" are in that same muesum too---the loins are HUGE--- way bigger than any normal lions ---I didn't know about the candians grabbing a sub---was just wonder because the swiss are well known for fine detailed machinery --like the type you would need for a code machine---Ivan

Actually the "Ghost and the Darkenss" lions are at the Field Museum next to Soldier Field, and the Submarine is at the Museum of Science and Industry on the South Side near University of Chicago. My family jokes everytime we go to the Field Museum, we call it the "ZOO of the damned" since much of the museum is like the biggest ZOO in the world but all the animals are stuffed and many are well over 100 if not several hundred years old - really creepy in a way.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
they (the loins) have been moved ? I recall they were at the same place---but then again that was like I said a long time ago ---maybe I was a bit mixed up ---well anyway there in chicago at least I remembered that correctly---but those loins are HUGE aren't they? scary thinking of being a native type person with only a spear to fend off a monster like that---patterson had to be very brave --- to tackle them even with a gun---Ivan

Upvote 0

ryanc11

Jun 1, 2006
ivan salis said:
they (the loins) have been moved ? I recall they were at the same place---but then again that was like I said a long time ago ---maybe I was a bit mixed up ---well anyway there in chicago at least I remembered that correctly---but those loins are HUGE aren't they? scary thinking of being a native type person with only a spear to fend off a monster like that---patterson had to be very brave --- to tackle them even with a gun---Ivan

Interesting...A quick Wikipedia search says that the Field Museum was moved from whats now The Museum of Science and industry (where the U-505 is), to its current location near Soldier Field in 1921, but as far back (70's) I can remeber the Lions were always at the museum near Soldier field. Everyone gets those museums mixed up, I still get them mixed up, but in any case it sounds like its been way to long since you visited our fine city. The U-505 exhibit had Major renovations done and is now housed inside, with new exhibits, a movie etc... you need to come up again to check it out... Here is a link:

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I visited the measums back in the early 80's when I was working as a cook / steward for the great lakes dredge and dock company----the companies dock yard was at the time located at the foot of the 95th st bridge in chicago (don't know if its still there or not)-----WE cristened a new dredge(the Northerly Island---I'm a Plank Owner on it--original crew)) at the chicago yaught club and wound up damaging the dock that we were tied up to at the tiime ---we were way too big to tie up there but the rich folks didn't think of that when they set up the shindig-- by the way ---I love your pizzas and you'll have great sausages too ---old world style made from good meat ---not greasy scrap meat like most sausages made in the US are---Ivan

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread