Epic day at the park. A little bit of something plus my oldest US silver! (key date)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome guy of course had to got to my spot for just one more .58 3 ringer which I accomplished, but I’m trying to take it easy on that spot, so I drove around the park. I happened to see a spot where they were doing some sewer repair and saw a lot of dirt and old bricks within the plastic mesh gate they had surrounding it. I decided to park a detect around the fencing and boy am I glad I did. Not sure if this was mud that was from with in the huge hole but a couple inches down I hit a 1897 O Barber dime only 666,000 ever minted. All I’ve done was sprayed water on it and put it in the car wash. So much back patina not sure what to do but 100% sure it’s a 1897 O. Also got a .36 cal 2 ringer from the same spot but very deep and a cool toy car which I love. It’s from England. I can’t believe I found this coin but not sure what to do with it if anything. Pictures do not do it justice. Any suggestions please feel free. Thank you for experiencing this with me. IMG_2221.JPGIMG_2222.JPGIMG_2230.JPGIMG_2231.JPGIMG_2233.JPGIMG_2235.JPGIMG_2236.JPGIMG_2226.JPGIMG_2228.JPGIMG_2229.JPGIMG_2227.JPG

Spot where I was. I would love to go through all that clay they have there.IMG_2220.JPG

Upvote 49
Congrats on that awesome dime! It's amazing that you can walk that dime from where you dug it, to the spot it was minted, just a short distance away.

Congrats on that awesome dime! It's amazing that you can walk that dime from where you dug it, to the spot it was minted, just a short distance away.

Yep just walk it right down Esplanade Ave to the river about 3 miles. Interesting way to look at it.

Last edited:
I've found a Lesney Armored Car/Tank before, they made some cool die cast toys. Great finds!

See good things do happen to great people.

ATTA BOY!

8548F144-D843-41F7-8811-F72973514A3F.jpeg

GO BACK SUNDAY MORNING EARLY... STEP OVER THE PLASTIC FENCE... TURN DETECTOR ON...

Holy smokes, nice find! Found my oldest silver a few weeks back, a 97 barber quarter. Nicely done!!

Truth, nice find, and I love "Dirt piles". The advice given by Against The Wind & smokeythecat is right on, and they know, as I NOW do. There was a day detecting that I found a great coin, but I did not realize just what I had at the time. I had found a 1860 S Seated Liberty Quarter, perhaps the Holy Grail of them, only 56,000 were ever minted, and all had been put into circulation. Being uninformed at the time, I about did everything wrong that one could do. I put it in a pocket with other coins, (zinc penny's) and such, tossed it out in front of me a couple of times to test my detector, after going home, washed it off in the sink, rubbed it with a dish rag, rubbed it with my thumb and fore finger, and THEN looked it up. Well I did send it in to be graded and slabbed, it was returned marked as "Genuine". But no grade? Looking up the code, it meant "Ungradable, Cleaned" The coin has a lot of really good detail on it, but, that did not matter. It is NOT for sale, I keep it for two reasons, One; I will never find another like it, and TWO; I look at it as a lesson learned. It still turns my gut somewhat thinking about it, but I share this so that perhaps others will not make the same mistake. One great thing about this Forum, is that if a serious question is asked, and advice is asked for, there are many here that will offer up good and honest answers based on their own knowledge and experience, again such as smokey's and Against the Wind, and perhaps now mine. I was not careless so much as being Un and Ill informed. Now I know better. I can not undo what has been done, but if putting this out there just prevents even one guy from innocently making the same type of mistake, O.K. then. We learn as we go. More Barber Dimes are out there for ya Truth, the next Barber "O" mintmark I need you to find would be the 1895 O.

Awesome job yet again! Seems like that park is a detectorists dream!

If you don't know what to do with that coin I will send you my mailing address through pm.....

Against the wind is absolutely correct. Do not even wash it. I set up a new PCGS account earlier in the week and send them the US half cent (Liberty cap I think) and didn't do a thing to it before I sent it. I would recommend you check out their website for information.

He's already washed it off as stated "All I’ve done was sprayed water on it and put it in the car wash."
So that's been done, secondly it's has so much environmental damage the grading would be a return to sender coin.
Looking at the grading of the dime its hard to tell, but it wouldn't grade that high in the first place.
I would say it's a nice keeper, congrats and save your money onto the grading.

[h=1]1897 O Barber Dimes[/h][h=2]Early Silver Dimes[/h]
Mintage: 666,000
Minted at: New Orleans

Designer - Engraver: Charles E Barber
Metal Composition: 90% Silver - 10% Copper

Diameter: 17.9 mm
Mass / Weight: 2.5 grams

What this coin looks like (obverse, reverse, mint mark location, special features, etc.):

Good
(G-4)
Very Good
(VG-8)
Fine
(F-12)
Very Fine
(VF-20)
Extremely Fine
(EF-40)
About Uncirculated
(AU-50)
Uncirculated
(MS-60)
Uncirculated
(MS-63)
Proof
(PR-63)
$67$118$281$385$481$594$928$1,708-

Coin value chart: Typical coin prices, values and worth in USD based on grade/condition

Truth, nice find, and I love "Dirt piles". The advice given by Against The Wind & smokeythecat is right on, and they know, as I NOW do. There was a day detecting that I found a great coin, but I did not realize just what I had at the time. I had found a 1860 S Seated Liberty Quarter, perhaps the Holy Grail of them, only 56,000 were ever minted, and all had been put into circulation. Being uninformed at the time, I about did everything wrong that one could do. I put it in a pocket with other coins, (zinc penny's) and such, tossed it out in front of me a couple of times to test my detector, after going home, washed it off in the sink, rubbed it with a dish rag, rubbed it with my thumb and fore finger, and THEN looked it up. Well I did send it in to be graded and slabbed, it was returned marked as "Genuine". But no grade? Looking up the code, it meant "Ungradable, Cleaned" The coin has a lot of really good detail on it, but, that did not matter. It is NOT for sale, I keep it for two reasons, One; I will never find another like it, and TWO; I look at it as a lesson learned. It still turns my gut somewhat thinking about it, but I share this so that perhaps others will not make the same mistake. One great thing about this Forum, is that if a serious question is asked, and advice is asked for, there are many here that will offer up good and honest answers based on their own knowledge and experience, again such as smokey's and Against the Wind, and perhaps now mine. I was not careless so much as being Un and Ill informed. Now I know better. I can not undo what has been done, but if putting this out there just prevents even one guy from innocently making the same type of mistake, O.K. then. We learn as we go. More Barber Dimes are out there for ya Truth, the next Barber "O" mintmark I need you to find would be the 1895 O.

Good point-though your quarter would of demanded 10X the value of this dime it's a ouch!

Good point-though your quarter would of demanded 10X the value of this dime it's a ouch!

I wanted to give your post a "like", because every word you typed is true, but it made me sad, only because it is true. OH WELL, at least I've unburdened my soul, I now feel refreshed!!!, know what, I'm going out to find "another" one. HA! You know pepper, there just might be one up there in Canada, you DO find some really good keepers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back