Epic day at the park. A little bit of something plus my oldest US silver! (key date)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome guy of course had to got to my spot for just one more .58 3 ringer which I accomplished, but I’m trying to take it easy on that spot, so I drove around the park. I happened to see a spot where they were doing some sewer repair and saw a lot of dirt and old bricks within the plastic mesh gate they had surrounding it. I decided to park a detect around the fencing and boy am I glad I did. Not sure if this was mud that was from with in the huge hole but a couple inches down I hit a 1897 O Barber dime only 666,000 ever minted. All I’ve done was sprayed water on it and put it in the car wash. So much back patina not sure what to do but 100% sure it’s a 1897 O. Also got a .36 cal 2 ringer from the same spot but very deep and a cool toy car which I love. It’s from England. I can’t believe I found this coin but not sure what to do with it if anything. Pictures do not do it justice. Any suggestions please feel free. Thank you for experiencing this with me. IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2231.JPG IMG_2233.JPG IMG_2235.JPG IMG_2236.JPG IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2229.JPG IMG_2227.JPG

Spot where I was. I would love to go through all that clay they have there. IMG_2220.JPG

Upvote 49
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He's already washed it off as stated "All I’ve done was sprayed water on it and put it in the car wash."
So that's been done, secondly it's has so much environmental damage the grading would be a return to sender coin.
Looking at the grading of the dime its hard to tell, but it wouldn't grade that high in the first place.
I would say it's a nice keeper, congrats and save your money onto the grading.

[h=1]1897 O Barber Dimes[/h][h=2]Early Silver Dimes[/h]
Mintage: 666,000
Minted at: New Orleans

Designer - Engraver: Charles E Barber
Metal Composition: 90% Silver - 10% Copper

Diameter: 17.9 mm
Mass / Weight: 2.5 grams

What this coin looks like (obverse, reverse, mint mark location, special features, etc.):

Good
(G-4)
Very Good
(VG-8)
Fine
(F-12)
Very Fine
(VF-20)
Extremely Fine
(EF-40)
About Uncirculated
(AU-50)
Uncirculated
(MS-60)
Uncirculated
(MS-63)
Proof
(PR-63)
$67$118$281$385$481$594$928$1,708-

Coin value chart: Typical coin prices, values and worth in USD based on grade/condition

So pepper what would you do leave it like this? I think it deserves better. You must be knowledgeable I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok not knowing if it has environmental damage or just patina, plus I did spray water on it and used my tongue to clean it up enough to know what I found I heard that might have not been good. So are you just supposed to send the mud clump to get graded without knowing what you have. And if it’s not worth doing at this point is it worth more like this (unreadable except under a high microscope) or do a good none abrasive home method so I can enjoy its beauty because I’m not selling it anyway. See what I’m saying?

in my opinion formed from 35 years of detecting, clean it as much as you are comfortable doing. You have to clean coins in order to even know what you have and whether or not it has any real collector value. I don't think you did any harm whatsoever in removing the dirt from it.

the black patina on it is the environmental damage, and if you send that in to a grading service (along with your $$) you will likely get it back un graded and labled as heavy environmental damage. If you have no plans on selling, then clean it as much as you want. A completely cleaned coin will tone naturally sitting in a collection anyway. so in a few decades it will look like any other un-cleaned coin. My only caveat would be to stay away from methods such as rubbing with baking soda or other types of abrasive cleaning.

Its yours, you make the call.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in my opinion formed from 35 years of detecting, clean it as much as you are comfortable doing. You have to clean coins in order to even know what you have and whether or not it has any real collector value. I don't think you did any harm whatsoever in removing the dirt from it.

the black patina on it is the environmental damage, and if you send that in to a grading service (along with your $$) you will likely get it back un graded and labled as heavy environmental damage. If you have no plans on selling, then clean it as much as you want. A completely cleaned coin will tone naturally sitting in a collection anyway. so in a few decades it will look like any other un-cleaned coin. My only caveat would be to stay away from methods such as rubbing with baking soda or other types of abrasive cleaning.

Its yours, you make the call.

Thank you Jason any suggestions on the best way?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a test drive on a silver quarter that had the black tarnish on it and I did the boiling water, aluminum foil and baking soda treatment done by aquachigger and it didn’t do a dang thing. IMG_2237.JPG IMG_2238.JPG

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have very, very thick black encrustation. It will probably take multiple attempts and MAY take more drastic measures. Heres the bad part.... if your coin is like the ones I have in that condition... when you get the black crust off, you will likely have a frosted look to it. The black is a form of corrosion and can become much more apparent after it has been removed.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have very, very thick black encrustation. It will probably take multiple attempts and MAY take more drastic measures. Heres the bad part.... if your coin is like the ones I have in that condition... when you get the black crust off, you will likely have a frosted look to it. The black is a form of corrosion and can become much more apparent after it has been removed.

Jason give me the all mighty answer!!!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a tough call, Truth. Damned if u do...damned if u don't. But...I agree with everything Jason said. U hafta decide first...do I keep it? Do I sell it? Is what you'll get for it gonna make a big difference in ur situation? I don't have any key date silvers, but I've had some n that same shape. I've done the soda/foil/water method n had good results...but on occasion, it's taken 4 or 5 tries. What have u got to lose?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a tough call, Truth. Damned if u do...damned if u don't. But...I agree with everything Jason said. U hafta decide first...do I keep it? Do I sell it? Is what you'll get for it gonna make a big difference in ur situation? I don't have any key date silvers, but I've had some n that same shape. I've done the soda/foil/water method n had good results...but on occasion, it's taken 4 or 5 tries. What have u got to lose?

I gonna do this quarter again and again and see where I’m at.

I’ll never sell anything I find. I have enough other bought gold and silver coins to sell if I ever get strapped. You never know.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah I came out a little frosty on one side
On the quarter

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so sweet! Glad you get to hunt down there! I vacation there a fair bit. I drool over the parks I've visited. Congrats to you! :occasion14:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Congrats on the awesome finds!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gonna do this quarter again and again and see where I’m at.

I’ll never sell anything I find. I have enough other bought gold and silver coins to sell if I ever get strapped. You never know.

Truth, when you get one thats really stubborn you can try alternating the foil method with rubbing the coin between your fingers with DAMP baking soda. If that isnt getting any results you can make an electrolysis cleaner from a 2-wire type battery charger (I always have a lot laying in drawers from dead phones, etc.) just make sure it has less than 1 Amp of output so you dont fry your coins.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, when you get one thats really stubborn you can try alternating the foil method with rubbing the coin between your fingers with DAMP baking soda. If that isnt getting any results you can make an electrolysis cleaner from a 2-wire type battery charger (I always have a lot laying in drawers from dead phones, etc.) just make sure it has less than 1 Amp of output so you dont fry your coins.

Jason PM me a picture of what you’re talking about I’m gonna do some trial runs with the electrolysis. The baking soda and liquid soap didn’t do anything on this quarter. Now I’m all focused on this quarter! Lol Thanks buddy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. A couple of weeks ago it looked like they were tearing up part of the drive near the esplanade entrance. You should try to get permission to check it out if they haven't paved it yet!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. A couple of weeks ago it looked like they were tearing up part of the drive near the esplanade entrance. You should try to get permission to check it out if they haven't paved it yet!

Yeah I saw that! They’re making that walkway there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread