Epic War of 1812 Fort finds

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Had a great day at the fort site - this place has been pounded and several prior trips yielded just a US button and Infantry "script" I for several days of searching, and some musketballs. Today was different; lots of bulldozing had occurred. Hit two US buttons (one not pictured given to property owner)...One Infantry, Script I...many musketballs, and my best button ever, US Navy officer's button...gold colored, and wild watermelon to boot (tasted good in the field)...

Attachments

• photo(11).JPG
    photo(11).JPG
    842.4 KB · Views: 367
  • photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    914.7 KB · Views: 418
  • detect2water.jpg
    detect2water.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 880
  • Detect1watermel.jpg
    Detect1watermel.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 23
That truly was an EPIC hunt!

Man that button is in fantastic condition, congrats. Got to go get a melon now.
ZDD

Wowzers! Amazing button. That alone is making me hungry to MD and the watermelon, well, that's just making me hungry. :occasion14:

Nice watermelon bergie :thumbsup:

oh the other stuff is cool too :tongue3:

all joking aside that button looks real nice

Beautiful button!

Wow! That is one gorgeous button find! :occasion14:

Congrats,
Dave

originally between 1763 and 1783 * there were 14 Original "British" colonies ...the original 13 break away AMERICAN COLONIES and the 1 colony that stayed British LOYAL --- known as FLORIDA ...and given back to Spain in 1783 at the end of the Rev War....Britain in 1763 while at war with Spain had taken Cuba which Spain wanted back and Britain wanted Spain off the mainland of America --so Spain and England swapped Florida for Cuba..... Britain at the end of the war in 1783 gave Spain back Florida (Spain late in the war sided with the Americans against the Brits and regaining Florida was their "pay off" for being on the winning side)

a 14 star naval button * would have had to been made after 1763 when the 14th British colony (Florida) came into existence but before 1776 when the 13 American colonies "broke away" (FLORIDA DID NOT AND STAYED BRITISH LOYAL BECOMING A HAVEN FOR BRITISH LOYALIST) --- American MILITARY Sailors that were formerly "BRITISH SAILORS" FROM THE 1763 TO 1776 ERA would have had these 14 colony star type buttons on their uniforms

Last edited:
BERG , YU GOT SOME COOL FINDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back