Unexpected find on hunted out CW Fort

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my digging buddy and I went back to a Civil War fort that was used by both sides prior to and during the Civil War.

Today it just a hill top next to a spring that is just old cow pasture and it has been hunted by a local treasure hunting club and probably everyone within 100 miles who has ever owned a metal detector.

The first time I went the only really good thing I found was a piece of shoulder scale, and a coupleof round balls. The second time I only found 3 round balls. My buddy found a nice Dragoon button. (I never find CW buttons)

Today right off the bat he found a US flat button that neither of us has ever seen.

After hunting almost all day and only finding 2 round balls I was ready to go try a different spot when I hit on what I thought was either a piece of trash or a chunk of lead. I dug it up and it just looked like some junk lead or something. I had to spit on it and start rubbing it before I saw the letters. My eyes were about as big around a quarters.

I just found my first US box plate.

Here are pics as I found it and after a few minutes in my ultrasonic cleaner.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• 20240218_154727.jpg
    20240218_154727.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
  • 20240218_190123.jpg
    20240218_190123.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 42

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Save of the U.S. box plate. Don't you just love those "hunted out" spots. A great addition to any CW collection. Well Done. Was the plate stamped by any chance on the back ?

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Save of the U.S. box plate. Don't you just love those "hunted out" spots. A great addition to any CW collection. Well Done. Was the plate stamped by any chance on the back ?
The back look like it's filled with zinc or something.

Attachments

• 20240218_200237.jpg
    20240218_200237.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check the back closely. It could be stamped, and if so, could tell you where this particular plate was manufactured by a particular foundry. Great CW Save and find. Congrat's

Sidcane

Aug 14, 2017
Flagler county fl
Detector(s) used
Ace 250&400 just bought at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my digging buddy and I went back to a Civil War fort that was used by both sides prior to and during the Civil War.

Today it just a hill top next to a spring that is just old cow pasture and it has been hunted by a local treasure hunting club and probably everyone within 100 miles who has ever owned a metal detector.

The first time I went the only really good thing I found was a piece of shoulder scale, and a coupleof round balls. The second time I only found 3 round balls. My buddy found a nice Dragoon button. (I never find CW buttons)

Today right off the bat he found a US flat button that neither of us has ever seen.

After hunting almost all day and only finding 2 round balls I was ready to go try a different spot when I hit on what I thought was either a piece of trash or a chunk of lead. I dug it up and it just looked like some junk lead or something. I had to spit on it and start rubbing it before I saw the letters. My eyes were about as big around a quarters.

Thanks for reading
Congrats ! Just found my first one too.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. The US button that my friend found turned out to be an 1820's Great Coat button. We are definitely going back.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for reading
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread