Equinox 600 & 800 vs AT Max Amazon sales snapshot

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazon sales of at max vs equinox 600 and 800

Here are some interesting stats. Keep in mind these only represent a fraction of the metal detector sales since most come through dealers outside of Amazon. As an amazon seller I have access to tools to show unit sales of most amazon items for sale. Anyone can use this free tool. It is a Chrome browser add on extension called Keepa.
I am only comparing the Garrett AT Max and Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 actual amazon sales. I have no knowledge of actual total sales of either unit through both company’s dealer sales programs which I suspect represent 99% of all sales of new units.

AT Max package:
The metal detector, z-lynk wireless headphones, stock coil and two hats.
16 units per day in sales

Equinox 600 package:
Equinox 600 with 11” coil
12 units per day

Equinox 800 package

Minelab EQUINOX 800 Multi-IQ Metal Detector with EQX 11" DD Smart Coil, Wireless Headphones and WM08 Adapter.

11 units per day.

Totals and percentages:
AT Max daily sales: 16
Equinox 600 and 800 daily sales: 23
AT Max 16 41.0%
600&800 23 59.0%

total 39

My conclusion is that of course the Equinox is winning the current Amazon sales battle, but the AT Max is not fading away. Keep in mind that this is only based on Amazon sales and since I don’t have access to dealer sales for Garrett and Minelab, the true sales picture could and likely be totally different than this small snap shot.
This is presented as food for thought and not a true picture of the real world of Garrett and Minelab total sales. I am neither pro or con on either vendor since I have owned an AT Pro for 3 years and loved it and owned my 800 for several months and like it better each and every day as I learn more.

Ok, jwp1964 said I should include AT Pro sales. I found seven packaged deals that included the AT Pro.
It appears that the AT Pro is still selling real well compared to the 600/800 but my original interest was how was the AT Max standing up to the 600 and 800. But when you throw the AT Pro into the analysis Garrett still dominates in that price range.
AT Pro daily
Pkg Price qty
$ 577.90 15
$ 679.90 12
$ 552.45 13
$ 817.35 1
$ 745.13 15
$ 770.65 2
$ 596.50 15
total 73

I want to make it clear, I am not trying to make any point here in favor of Garrett or Minelab. As I stated before I loved my AT Pro but felt that 800 was a good step up into the realms of Minelab at a reasonable price which I did.
I have read all the pros and cons on the forums about Equinox 600 and 800 and AT Max. And I know from experience the AT Pro is a great machine for the price and probably will remain so for a while.

My question here is was the AT Max just a slight upgrade from the AT Pro? and on the other hand the Equinox series was a big shakeup entry at Minelab that may hurt their other higher priced detector sales.

one more question will the Equinox series ever hit the AT Pro level of sales over time?

I didn't analyze the Amazon sales of the Garrett Ace series because I don't have the time, but I suspect those numbers are higher than the AT Pro unit sales on Amazon.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab needs more youtube cheerleaders.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I have always wondered if there is a relation to new detectors to first time detectorist based on youtube videos. Nugget noggin, relic recoverists and aqua chigger are paid by Garrett so I guess Garrett does not support them for the fun of it.
I don't think Minelab has figured out the American promotion and advertising game yet.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I have always wondered if there is a relation to new detectors to first time detectorist based on youtube videos. Nugget noggin, relic recoverists and aqua chigger are paid by Garrett so I guess Garrett does not support them for the fun of it.
I don't think Minelab has figured out the American promotion and advertising game yet.

Exactly my view. Plenty of people turn to youtube when starting or learning lots of things.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Pro to At Max...I upgraded last year, and while I enjoy the back lit display and the added depth (in All Metal)...there is not a huge difference. Disappointed? Nah....Jumping for joy? Nah....I love the machine but I can say for sure that it didn't live up to the hype. We find plenty now, I can't say for sure that a multi-thousand dollar machine would make much difference. Cool thread..Ddf.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab needs more youtube cheerleaders.

I'm selfishly glad ML doesn't have them and that the uninformed are still flocking to Garrett. If you are not going to get the best value, at least AT Pro is solid detector, but I am overjoyed to see an AT Pro on the beach or relic field. I think Garrett made the AT Max too hot and the AT Pro or AT Gold might be the better value. Even John-Edmonton seems to favor the AT Pro. Speaking to a couple of detector dealers I know who have clientele that are more expeienced or informed, the sales delta is huge vs. the Garrett. The first clue that you are getting a "tv" treasure hunter is that they are buying their MD equipment direct from Amazon. That is telling.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'm not sure of the Amazon prices on detectors in the US but Amazon here in Canada is crazy. My Outlaw with the single 8" coil is going for $1373.15 CDN or $1052.42 US.
The Equinox 800 is $1825.17 or $1398.87 US. I just picked those two detectors since it's the one I have and the one I'm going to get. Don't think they'll be getting many sales up here eh.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why so high Ronzie, tax that bad?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut my teeth on the Pro and then added a F75 LTD then the Max. Sold them all and got the 800. I can honestly say, out of all 3, I wish I would’ve held on to my Pro. I like the 800, but if I have 1 complaint it’s gotta be old iron nails, it doesn’t have that crackle the Pro had.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut my teeth on the Pro and then added a F75 LTD then the Max. Sold them all and got the 800. I can honestly say, out of all 3, I wish I would’ve held on to my Pro. I like the 800, but if I have 1 complaint it’s gotta be old iron nails, it doesn’t have that crackle the Pro had.

Almost like saying a Lambo has a stiffer ride than a Chevy Malibu. Certain things come with the territory. Most high gain detectors false on iron quite often. It seems that all of them have their own way to tell you it MIGHT be just that but that's about as good as it gets! The AT pro is notorious for distinguishing iron but it will never separate or go deep like an EQ, That's the trade off. It took thousands of plugs to learn my f75s' clues of iron falses. Drove me nuts!

I bet you won't like the DEUS if you try it. I hear its a falsing SOB.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere between you and Malaysia there's a smiling pig brick.

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure of the Amazon prices on detectors in the US but Amazon here in Canada is crazy. My Outlaw with the single 8" coil is going for $1373.15 CDN or $1052.42 US.
The Equinox 800 is $1825.17 or $1398.87 US. I just picked those two detectors since it's the one I have and the one I'm going to get. Don't think they'll be getting many sales up here eh.

Minelab Equinox 800 Metal Detector (3720-0002) - GPSCentral.ca

$1123 plus pst/gst ... about $1200 +

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread