Equinox 900 hunting scenario help!

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys & gals with the equinox 900. I got a hunting scenario using 2 rusty bottle caps & a silver dime.
I have included a pic of the scenario & I'm curious what program & program settings to use & change to get the best results.

The included pic is as close as I could get the rusty bottle caps to the silver dime & still get a repeatable audio signal.
If I move the bottle caps closer together I loose the dime hit. Field 2 5tones seems to hit the silver dime of all the factory programs.
Mental Metals coin program hits the silver dime the best. It has the clearest audio & a repeatable TID #'s. Which is a discrimination & notched out park 1 program 5 tones, recovery 5, FE iron bias at 4, sensitivity at 20.
What settings would help to hit the silver dime better if the bottle caps are moved closer together?
Thanks. All help & recommendations appreciated.
20230618_185141.jpg

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are swinging from side to side. So how does it act when you approach the dime from the opposite direction?

In other words....sweep it from one bottle cap to the other inline like you would be walking and they were in line with each other instead of across from each other.

I bet you get different results.

This is why you grid an area.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you are swinging from side to side. So how does it act when you approach the dime from the opposite direction?

In other words....sweep it from one bottle cap to the other inline like you would be walking and they were in line with each other instead of across from each other.

I bet you get different results.

This is why you grid an area.
I was swinging inline I will admit that, if i turn 90° degree its slamming loud then.

I havent been gridding lately either while hunting. Lol guess I got lazy🤣😁🤣.

I will admit the equinox 900 has impressed me on unmasking some 8" deep wheat pennies, 2 of the wheats had multiple nails & screws in the same hole. I was amazed it even hit on them.

I'll have to do some more testing 2mrow. 1 thing I noticed today on field 2, 5 tones, sens. 20, recovery 5, FE iron bias 4. It had a awesome audio signal, like stop in your tracks signal, but the TID # was all jacked up.

I personally hunt more by audio than TID#'s so I would have dug it up solely on the audio response.

Do you have any settings, that I should change & try? Thanks.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guys & gals with the equinox 900. I got a hunting scenario using 2 rusty bottle caps & a silver dime.
I have included a pic of the scenario & I'm curious what program & program settings to use & change to get the best results.

The included pic is as close as I could get the rusty bottle caps to the silver dime & still get a repeatable audio signal.
If I move the bottle caps closer together I loose the dime hit. Field 2 5tones seems to hit the silver dime of all the factory programs.
Mental Metals coin program hits the silver dime the best. It has the clearest audio & a repeatable TID #'s. Which is a discrimination & notched out park 1 program 5 tones, recovery 5, FE iron bias at 4, sensitivity at 20.
What settings would help to hit the silver dime better if the bottle caps are moved closer together?
Thanks. All help & recommendations appreciated. View attachment 2089711
Which coil are you using? I know that some people don't like using the 6" because it seems tiny, but if you increase your sweep speed a little to make up for the lost ground coverage, you'd be surprised at some of the targets you were missing in iron. Also the 6" seems to really be able to hit deeper than its diameter. With the Coiltek 10x5, it's even better. You get the sweep of a 10" coil and the benefits of a 5" coil getting between the iron.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which coil are you using? I know that some people don't like using the 6" because it seems tiny, but if you increase your sweep speed a little to make up for the lost ground coverage, you'd be surprised at some of the targets you were missing in iron. Also the 6" seems to really be able to hit deeper than its diameter. With the Coiltek 10x5, it's even better. You get the sweep of a 10" coil and the benefits of a 5" coil getting between the iron.
I was using the 6" coil in my test/hunting scenario. I do have the 10x5 coiltek coil as well, but have not tried it yet on the equinox 900. The 6" & the 10x5 coiltek easily hits quarters at 8" on the Xterra Pro. Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take those types of tests with a big grain of salt. That said, in an area with both old coins and lots of bottle caps, this is how I would start. Small coil and slower swing speed, multi-frequency, 50 tone, horseshoe on, recovery speed at 6 or higher, FE at 4 or higher, and Park 1 to start with, and sensitivity just below chatty. I would then go more by depth than I.D. number. Any good sound would get a walk-around to help eliminate deep rusty iron. Sometimes that's just plain unavoidable though.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for chiming in on the Nox 900. On your FE iron bias I noticed at a setting of 4 it's really good at distinguishing steel bottle caps. Does the equinox 900 still do decent at iron at a FE setting of 2? Also how much depth is lost from setting to setting on the FE iron bias. Like FE of 4 versus FE of 2? Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found any difference in depth, but, the sound of some targets will change with the setting. More non-ferrous low conductors will sound in the iron range the higher you adjust the FE setting. In the places I detect, a setting lower than FE4 doesn't give a poor enough I.D. not to dig it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As cudamark added; increase your recovery speed?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread