Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been swinging the eqx 15 for about a month now and still having difficulty with pinpointing. I've scratched two cool finds this past week. One was a flat button and the other was yesterday with my first Liberty Head Nickle(1902). If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate the help.

BTW my right arm is now bigger than my left💪😂

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What method are you using? Pin point button, or, wiggle? Either way, it takes practice and a good pin pointer. Use the depth meter to get an idea of how deep you need to dig, start taking overburden until the pin pointer can hear the target, then pin pointer (one with tip only detection) to zero in close, and finally, careful use of your hand digger to break up the soil all around the target area.....not right on top the highest signal. I like to get under the target from the side and just pop the last bit of soil along with the target. Break that clod up with your fingers while using the pin pointer.

OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What method are you using? Pin point button, or, wiggle? Either way, it takes practice and a good pin pointer. Use the depth meter to get an idea of how deep you need to dig, start taking overburden until the pin pointer can hear the target, then pin pointer (one with tip only detection) to zero in close, and finally, careful use of your hand digger to break up the soil all around the target area.....not right on top the highest signal. I like to get under the target from the side and just pop the last bit of soil along with the target. Break that clod up with your fingers while using the pin pointer.
I use both methods. My preference is "wiggle" which I've been using until I started with the 15. Smaller targets are not an issue with the 15 it's trashy areas with multiple targets that are the challenge. Target separation is the issue....I'm doing the damage when digging the plug. You said it best...practice IS going to be the key.

I use the same process for target retrieval and pinpointing methods you mentioned. However, I'm using the pro-find 20 which is a shaft sensitive detector and would like to know your opinion on a tip only detector.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use tip only pin pointers. My primary one is the Mi6 from XP. My back up (and former primary) is the White's TRX, which unfortunately isn't made anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread