Especially For Newbies - Which Detector?

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1graeman you are right, ANY detector can find metal, you just need to use what you have and learn the machine. But most of the more expensive machine will go deeper, discriminate better, and find treasure right next to trash better, or recover faster. But YOU have to buy what YOU can afford(I don't me you personally) but if all a person can afford is a WHITES COINMASTER or GARRETT'S ACE 150 then buy it and LEARN it. If you outgrow it then save and buy a better one. The moral of the story is buy what you can afford and put the coil over metal.

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My at pro found 2 more rings today in a 1 hour hunt, my son and I got snowed out, I was getting sick of cotton ball sized snow clumps hitting me in my right ear canal and melting(we have been in a drout for several years so digging is decent and the soil is dry. I like to consider myself hardcore, what man doesn't lol, so I sent my boy whom I dressed in thermals and 3 layers to extend my hunt back to the jeep to warm up and give me 15 more minutes..(we were hunting a now defunct school)he hops in the jeep and manages to hit the panic button on the fob, nothing like unwanted attention! Look at us!! This school is one of those areas we have all herd about over and over as being "hunted out" we found some some clad, but no old coins, one ring was aluminum and the other is an old silver ring, also found an old copper cylinder with a screw off cap that appears to be a lipstick case? All I know about it is some kid back in the day took it upon himself to smash it flat before it was lost. I know it gets a bad rap but in my humble opinion the at pro is a fantastic tool, judge it if you will but before you do try to put one to good use hopefully it has a 5x8 DD coil because it is a night and day difference as compared to the stock coil..my 2cents ;o)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread