Ever find anything interesting in coal?

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have pictures of it now, but when we bought our house, there was a big pile of coal out back. Some of the lumps were as big as softballs or bigger. My kids got into it and spread it all over the property playing with it. I noticed some had mineral streaks in it, including one with iron rust. I crushed that one at the time and found a bit of irony material, but nothing too interesting. Anybody found anything noteworthy?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found fossils and rarely pyrite discs in coal. Sadly, I left them in northern Montana when I moved back to Butte at 16 years old. Went back one time to get them, couldn't find them. My family doesn't own the land I found them on any more, so I guess I'm SOL lol!

Upvote 0

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I visit Ashland PA every year, I always climb on the coal banks and piles looking for stuff. My most recent find is a crystal piece of Quartz. I have to dig up the photo.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a mine in So.IL that has the pyrite discs. After the coal is removed, they pry the pyrite discs off the ceiling. Those things were common around here when I was a kid, I had several. I haven't seen any lately. Gary

Upvote 0

Rosey Morgan

Feb 16, 2019
Dawnzer Lee Light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a FB 'unofficial friend' who has a career coal miner son in the Coal Fields of Pennsylvania, who regularly plucks gold from some of the coal seams they are mining for the company. In fact, she reported that several of his co-workers have accomplished the same thing.

She went on to elaborate, when she offered to put me in touch with her son in particular, that the Owner/Company has two rules regarding such finds:
Yes, the coal miners can keep what they find providing they:
1) report to the company, at the end of each shift and show the company rep their harvested gold
2) failure to do so and getting reported or discovered results in immediate termination.

This conversation with her took place in the last 20 months. (It's now July '19)

I don't have pictures of it now, but when we bought our house, there was a big pile of coal out back. Some of the lumps were as big as softballs or bigger. My kids got into it and spread it all over the property playing with it. I noticed some had mineral streaks in it, including one with iron rust. I crushed that one at the time and found a bit of irony material, but nothing too interesting. Anybody found anything noteworthy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread