Ever have a day like this? LOL

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Took the Simplex out this morning. I shut the iron volume off and used Field mode with iron signals notched out. Trying to eliminate iron hits.
I found: rusted tin cans, various nails, some fence wire and a chunk of a 1930 license plate. I did find 2 aluminum can tabs, Otherwise 100% iron on good VIDs of 35 or higher. Still a very nice morning. The river is one massive sandbar due to the drought. I plan to go there and try next. Maybe I’ll get some lead sinkers. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpeg
    IMG_1913.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 11

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read, bent nails are notorious for giving off "good" signals. As for the others, I figure it's a matter of how much electrical disturbance they cause. By that I mean, maybe a silver quarter disrupts the signal the same as half an ounce of aluminum, or three fourths of an ounce of iron. I don't really know enough of how that is all decoded, though, so that could be just completely wrong. 8-)

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
From what I've read, bent nails are notorious for giving off "good" signals. As for the others, I figure it's a matter of how much electrical disturbance they cause. By that I mean, maybe a silver quarter disrupts the signal the same as half an ounce of aluminum, or three fourths of an ounce of iron. I don't really know enough of how that is all decoded, though, so that could be just completely wrong. 8-)
I agree. I was just laughing at myself because you can only find what’s there and the machine is just a machine. It fools me a lot, but I would never give it up.😊

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
metal detecting is just that detecting metals. My last hunt was beer cans, copper pipe, and bits and bobs (junk). It was hot and humid - I lasted 2 hours. Kinda like fishing, note they didn't name it catching. L
Some days are diamonds, some days are coal. Keep at it! HH!

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Took the Simplex out this morning. I shut the iron volume off and used Field mode with iron signals notched out. Trying to eliminate iron hits.
I found: rusted tin cans, various nails, some fence wire and a chunk of a 1930 license plate. I did find 2 aluminum can tabs, Otherwise 100% iron on good VIDs of 35 or higher. Still a very nice morning. The river is one massive sandbar due to the drought. I plan to go there and try next. Maybe I’ll get some lead sinkers. 🤞
I’ll take the piece of 1930s license plate all day.👍That’s just me.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
metal detecting is just that detecting metals. My last hunt was beer cans, copper pipe, and bits and bobs (junk). It was hot and humid - I lasted 2 hours. Kinda like fishing, note they didn't name it catching. L
Some days are diamonds, some days are coal. Keep at it! HH!
Very wise words in my opinion. That’s truly the only way to think about the hobby, I have to keep reminding myself of this.

Bamasteve

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2022
Very far north of where I’d rather be
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Garrett carrot
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Pro-find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like my weekly trip!

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I use the garrett 400 and even if I notch out iron it'll still pop up. Square nails in particular always hit a high tone. I've noticed that it depends on the size of some objects also. For instance if my iron is notched out completely and I run across a horseshoe it'll still hit a high tone. Some with roof tin also. The ground here is really really hot so my vdi numbers range differently than back in ga but based on how I'm running my machine I've gotten decent at knowing what I'm about to dig.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could be paying to chase a silly ball around...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread