What's new

Ever have dealers who talk down to you or act like they know better?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I've been a collector since I was a kid. I have experienced cool dealers who are friendly and good with customers. I've been to this one local shop since I was a kid. The owner who was elderly probably passed away since I haven't seen him in ten years was a real good guy and used to give wheaties to kids when they buy something as part of their change. The guy who took over after him was cool too, friendly with customers and had great stories to tell but over the last year, I heard he had cancer. I haven't seen him anymore. His partner evertime I go in, it's like he doesn't care that I'm there. He gives short answers to all my questions. A year ago, I called in and asked how much 40%ers were, and he told me $2.25 per coin at the time. So I stop in 2 hours later, he says he has to call and the price didn't change but he told me he'd only offer $2.10 per coin. C'mon I mentioned I wanted to sell them, so give me the exact price you're willing to pay. I was desperate so I unfortunately sold him some. I remember I mentioned about the guy that used to work there, and he said he had cancer. I mentioned "poor guy" and he didn't say a thing. Maybe, he just wanted to take over the business by himself. I don't know.

Last week I bought some plastic tubes and mentioned about why dealers don't buy copper cents? He said because they can't melt them. Then I asked "well you buy war-nickels right?" He acknowledged that he does buy war nickels. I then said you can't melt nickels right? He then gets all irritated and says "Well, I haven't melted any" and folds his arms over his head and leans back in the chair. Man, he could've gave more guidance on the future copper cent market but it just seemed like he wanted me out. I know that he'd seen me there before since he gave me that raw deal on the 40%ers last year. He also stared at the change he was giving me like he was looking at the dates. If I was a dealer and a collector, have the coins you want to use as change pre-screened. Who knows but just seemed like some of these dealers are just cut throat. Act like they know better than you. I also remember some other unfriendly dealer in Palo Alto that just seemed like he couldn't care less what customers thought. I think it's because they know I'm not going to make a big purchase so they act like jacka##es. Give you one to two word answers and walk away. I always feel like they act like they are the big experts. I've been collecting for a long time. Coins aren't the most complicated to collect. You get yourself a book, read it and know about low mintage years, errors, etc. I just don't get some of these dealers. I guess they can sniff where the money is just like car salesman and it's usually from people who don't know much. I think if you treat people who might not make big purchases right, you never know what will happen in the future. What if they stumble accross a bunch of money and want to make large purchases in the future? What if I won the lottery and wanted to buy a bunch of silver or gold eagles etc. They're gonna remember that jacka## dealer. Maybe, it just comes down to their personalities. Just my 2 cents worth.
 
Upvote 0
It is not just coin dealers. There are those types in every business, and generally speaking they don't last long.

As a side note, the business people that ignore kids are just plain stupid. Those kids grow up, they remember how they were treated, and spend their money elsewhere.

There was a local business where the owners were always super nice to their friends, but if you walked in and looked poor to them, or were a kid, they watched every move you made as if you were going to steal from them. They were very arrogant towards anyone they didn't know. They had a great business until their core generation died off, and the following generations started buying from any place other than them. That business went bankrupt, and the owners blamed it on corporate America moving to town. I feel very strongly that they would have a thriving and booming business had they just been nice and friendly to everyone, not just their rich friends. Because they were so rude to me as a kid, when I became a homeowner, I made it a point to never buy anything from them, and routinely drove 20 miles to another store to make my purchases.

What comes around, goes around.
 
I completely agree with you. I went to that place because the old man was really nice to the kids. I remember him well. The next guy was very cool to talk to until his new partner took over. As a salesman, rapport with customers and customer service goes a long ways. Some people are so entertaining and cool to talk to, you don't mind making a purchase right there because you like the person. But if you act like you're better than the customers and only sniff after big targets, you'll lose out on the long run. I guess some personalities just aren't fit for the business. I now don't really want to go back to the place. However I also think that people do a lot of cross the country sales where people don't need to meet face to face. I saw them shipping a bunch of stuff when I was there.
 
Personally, I wouldn't go back in the place. From what you've said, it sounds like he has made it clear that he doesn't need you.
 
No offense to any dealers on this forum...

Coin dealers by and large are an awful group of humans. I have met very very few who treat their business as a retail business and focus on customer service. As a rule it seems they do not want to do business with anyone who is "sharp" they just want to take advantage of the unknowing. Sell you a roll of state quarters for 50 bucks and offer you 25% below spot on your 40% silver. Even trying to make side conversations its not very successful. I am an anti-social sort and love coins so I wonder if people naturally drawn to dealing just happen to be anti-social and its the truly rare person who is extroverted or at least socially glib and still enjoy the world of coin.

Actually I don't understand why any dealer over the age of 50 is still in business. Don't they have an inventory? Hasn't their inventory doubled, almost tripled in value over the past few years? Sell it all and retire somewhere warm!!

the people who mentioned how a good dealer helps start the next generation off - you are right. Unfortunately I think that is going to happen regardless. I really believe that coin collecting is going to die out. There is no intrinsic value to change anymore, the designs are dated, unimaginative (shield pennies??) or just plain ugly (new Jeffersons, are you kidding? Tom looks like he has the gout) and there is no friendly neighborhood coin shop to hook the little ones in.

Old Man Rant #42, copyright gotgot 2010
 
Sounds similar to a guy on another forum. He was selling a whole lot of $20 gold and in the middle of the transaction the dealer said that the seller's "locked in" price dropped $80. Talk about a low blow as the guy lost quite a lot of money out of it.
 
gotgot said:
There is no intrinsic value to change anymore, the designs are dated, unimaginative (shield pennies??) or just plain ugly (new Jeffersons, are you kidding? Tom looks like he has the gout) and there is no friendly neighborhood coin shop to hook the little ones in.

Old Man Rant #42, copyright gotgot 2010

The shield cents look ok to me.. I think the mint's intent is to make the coins have a simple design like the wheaties based on some things I read. I do completely and totally 150% agree about the Jeffersons. They are so ugly. The forward looking face looks like crap. I would rather have the old side portrait or the 2005 face. Jeffersons have got to be the ugliest design out there. I can't think of any uglier design. Even Susan B. Anthonys look better than the new Jeffersons.

I think personality goes a long way to selling coins. The one cool guy that had cancer told me he didn't collect coins. He just does it as a business and if he collected coins, it would be difficult for him to part with the coins he has. Not sure if it's true or not, but I found that to be very interesting. He said, he's just concerned about moving inventory.. not sitting on it. Kind of refreshing. He was definitely more extroverted. Don't know what personalities are drawn into this. I just think it goes back to your childhood, personality or not. I got into coins since 4th grade. I've collected everything but coins always kept their value and has been profitable in my opinion.

The new guy there is a collector for sure and more introverted but just didn't seem to have any personality. He's told me that collects coins and has his own collection before but never says anything about he likes or elaborates on it. I just thought it was really funny that he looked at the dates of the clad change he was giving me. I thought if he was a collector, he would've had them pre-screened.
 
Rakattack said:
Sounds similar to a guy on another forum. He was selling a whole lot of $20 gold and in the middle of the transaction the dealer said that the seller's "locked in" price dropped $80. Talk about a low blow as the guy lost quite a lot of money out of it.

Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away. Unfortunately for me at that time, I had bills to pay so I sold to him for cash. He read my desperation. I think that if you show that you're able to walk away, they're more willing to negotiate. I'm sure they'd rather make some profit than no profit. They do need to turn over inventory in order to stay afloat. However I sold at that time since I needed the money and he knew it too. When it comes down to it, dealers are never on your side.
 
I guess I'm lucky, i have several shops in my area that are nice, but I'm sure it helps to spend money. Does suck that people don't get that every customer is important and like you said you never know. I'm a big personal development guy and think that feedback is good. If I had gotten to that point, i would politely tell that dealer that because if his poor customer service attitude i wouldn't frequent his shop anymore and will be taking my business to X. The sad thing for him is that the "free market" is just like the animal kingdom, natural selection. I'm sure based on your story that it sounds like he bought or inherited the business, and that he is already seeing declining numbers and it will be a matter of time till some other shops takes his business. Hopefully there are some other shops in the area. If not maybe u might think about running him out of business???
 
There are other shops in the area.. when my mom wanted to buy some silver.. she went and bought 6k worth of eagles at a different shop. The guy there seemed ok but since my mom made a 6k purchase, I'm sure he was nice about it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom