Ever heard of a U.S. Mint pattern coin?

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
That may be meaningless. The article says that they are often struck from metals of lower value, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a genuine pattern coin to weigh the same as silver. A counterfeiter may or may not know that, so may make the weight equal to silver (considering the increased value and scrutiny).

If it were me, I'd want more specific/detailed information about that particular issue (in order to verify), a solid coin provenance, and certification from one or more of the recognized services. If the coin is genuine, IMO, it'd be worth the fees.
I agree the next step would be taking it to an expert and get it authenticated as a pattern coin. With all the paper work. I’ve been coin collecting a long time. This is the first pattern coin I’ve had in my possession. Because of their rarity it would be the center piece of most nice collections in my opinion.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin is called the "Baber Head Dollar".
The coin you pictured is IMO not real.

These are available in varing degrees of "look".
Here is one of the variants of copies on Etsy...

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024

Do these Barber head coins weigh exactly the same as a silver dollar? Because the coin I have weighs the same as a Morgan silver dollar that would be kind of odd for a counterfeit don’t you think?

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024

Thanks for this information. Much appreciated. I plan on taking this coin to a coin grader. Brings it weighs the same as a Morgan Silverdollar.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this information. Much appreciated. I plan on taking this coin to a coin grader. Brings it weighs the same as a Morgan Silverdollar.
Wishing you luck,,, hope it is... they are exceedingly rare so the odds are against it and why i said that IMO its not real.... but I say that when concerning a coin such as this IN THAT condition.
BUT .....
there is the chance it is... which would be wonderful and hope it is.
So... Somehow i missed in my skimming that you weighed it...
this weighs 26.7 ?

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do these Barber head coins weigh exactly the same as a silver dollar? Because the coin I have weighs the same as a Morgan silver dollar that would be kind of odd for a counterfeit don’t you think?
Actually not unusual at all. One of the biggest sellers the counterfeiters make is the Morgan dollar, it would make sense that they would use the same planchets. Authentication would be mandatory, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

wayne187

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually not unusual at all. One of the biggest sellers the counterfeiters make is the Morgan dollar, it would make sense that they would use the same planchets. Authentication would be mandatory, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

wayne187

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to match Pcgs j-1556a proof pattern , only a couple known, will be interesting to get it graded by TPG. Chances are it’s fake but you never know!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I remember (was it on this site?) reading about a family that struck their own Morgan's for years, (not patterns) and got away with it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Looks like it has circulated and therefore should be light compared to an uncirculated coin.
I agree with the fake call.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread