What's new

Excal 1000

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
644
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I love it! I don't have to throw away iron anymore!
Wish I could make the null sound into a giggle.
Enjoy it p.i. Guys!
BOOM!
Just dropped a bomb on the p.i. World!
 
Upvote 0
Who wants to tell him? :laughing7:
Yeah yeah yeah I know heard it all before
You'll not reach as deep without a pi and running discrimination you'll miss some gold but one thing I know is I'm not going home with iron anymore!
I'll take the chance of missing out on some for the sake of not digging so much trash!
Truth is I did better with a shallow vlf in the dry sand (beach hunter 300 I'd) then I did with a few other machines.
Now I can dig the wet, under water,and hit the dry sand in disc or all metal and I like the option.
Kind of impressed with bbs technology.
 
Yeah yeah yeah I know heard it all before
You'll not reach as deep without a pi and running discrimination you'll miss some gold but one thing I know is I'm not going home with iron anymore!
I'll take the chance of missing out on some for the sake of not digging so much trash!
Truth is I did better with a shallow vlf in the dry sand (beach hunter 300 I'd) then I did with a few other machines.
Now I can dig the wet, under water,and hit the dry sand in disc or all metal and I like the option.
Kind of impressed with bbs technology.

No...about those nulls. Two experiences stand out in my mind. One time I was walking the waterline back to the truck, machine in disc mode, it was summer and targets were very scarce. As I was walking along I got a really faint hull, decided to see what it was so I took a scoop of sand out of the target area and then I stuck my 8" coil into the hole and wiggled it...."I got a broken mid-tone". One more scoop and I had a small/fine gold bracelet chain in my scoop.

Second example, pretty much the same situation, got a faint null, swept it again from a different direction and got broken tones. Ended up with a bent rusty nail and a gold ring my scoop.

99% of the time a null will be iron, but if they're not really hard/sharp nulls you shouldn't always take them for granted. Sometimes items can be right on the edge of the machine's ability to ID the target and so you get a null. Most of the time a null is iron, but not always. The technology is great bit it isn't always fool proof.
 
Last edited:
No...about those nulls. Two experiences stand out in my mind. One time I was walking the waterline back to the truck, machine in disc mode, it was summer and targets were very scarce. As I was walking along I got a really faint hull, decided to see what it was so I took a scoop of sand out of the target area and then I stuck my 8" coil into the hole and wiggled it...."I got a broken mid-tone". One more scoop and I had a small/fine gold bracelet chain in my scoop. Second example, pretty much the same situation, got a faint null, swept it again from a different direction and got broken tones. Ended up with a bent rusty nail and a gold ring my scoop. 99% of the time a null will be iron, but if they're not really hard/sharp nulls you shouldn't always take them for granted. Sometimes items can be right on the edge of the machine's ability to ID the target and so you get a null. Most of the time a null is iron, but not always. The technology is great bit it isn't always fool proof.
You are really starting to get through to me.
I starting to get the point
Thanks
 
Every null should always be rescanned. Remember the excal will null on iron but if you resweep the null from a different 90 degree angle it will react to gold if it is there...

Anyone using excal that doesn't rescan every null is walking away from a potential gold target.

I found gold ring in a hole that was first a null and then on rescanning give me positive tone.

On recovery in the scoop with a piece of iron was a gold ring.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!
 
When I have the big coil on the Excal I can get PI depth with the advantage of having disc. BUT..... it seems that I get a lot more, "false nulls", if you will. This even happens quite a bit on really deep coins, the first pass producing what seems to be a quick/faint null but is actually a threshold break. I get these because the target is just on the edge of the machine's search field so it produces just a momentary interruption in the threshold. But once I actually get the coil over these targets they will often start to produce faint, but repeated tones. Deep pull tabs drive me crazy with this type nonsense, deep good tones that you can't risk passing up. The other issue I have with the larger coil is that the reset time is a bit slower, pass the coil over these questionable targets a second time too quickly and you won't get any type of an accurate response. I really have to be cautious of this when using the large coil while water hunting. Some of this can be helped by reducing the sensitivity but it can still happen if you're moving the coil too fast or you try to sweep the target a second time too soon.
 
True, True

No...about those nulls. Two experiences stand out in my mind. One time I was walking the waterline back to the truck, machine in disc mode, it was summer and targets were very scarce. As I was walking along I got a really faint hull, decided to see what it was so I took a scoop of sand out of the target area and then I stuck my 8" coil into the hole and wiggled it...."I got a broken mid-tone". One more scoop and I had a small/fine gold bracelet chain in my scoop.

Second example, pretty much the same situation, got a faint null, swept it again from a different direction and got broken tones. Ended up with a bent rusty nail and a gold ring my scoop.

99% of the time a null will be iron, but if they're not really hard/sharp nulls you shouldn't always take them for granted. Sometimes items can be right on the edge of the machine's ability to ID the target and so you get a null. Most of the time a null is iron, but not always. The technology is great bit it isn't always fool proof.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom