What's new

Excal down, now can only hunt with MXT... :-(

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I had to send the Excal in for repair..... Couldnt be at a WORSE time... So now I only have the MXT with the 6x10 DD coil..
I am going to try weighting the coil down with a piece of bike inner tube filled with wet sand and tie-strapped to the shaft just above the coil..
I should then at least be able to hit knee deep and shallower if the waves are small... I am so bummed, I hope that Minelab gets right on it.. I talked to two ML managers yesterday, and they said they hired two extra repair people, so it could possibly be done within two weeks of them receiving it (they should get it today)...

Going to miss a big window of the gold season...
 
Upvote 0
So sorry, not hearing many good things coming from the minelab camp lately. I would be sending them flowers and chocolates. Basically, be on them like a crher is to a nice teller. ;D ;D
 
Bummer I hear ya.. my DF is in the shop, and just have the dfx. I sure hope its back by the weekend of the 4th... wife and I our headin to the condo for our anniversary for a few days...
 
I had to send my excalibur II back in for repairs for the fourth time just two weeks ago.

Sure glad I bought the extended warranty on it . . . and glad that I have a Whites Beachhunter 300 to use while the Excalibur spends another 60 days in the repair cycle.

Bill
 
Silversurfer,

How do you use the MXT in salt water? Everytime I get my MXT with 6x10dd coil in 6" or more of water it screams like he....
 
That is why I have 3 of them (I used to be a boy scout-Be Prepared)
 

Attachments

  • smiley_faces.webp
    smiley_faces.webp
    2.4 KB · Views: 296
  • smiley_faces.webp
    smiley_faces.webp
    2.4 KB · Views: 305
JimDon said:
Silversurfer,

How do you use the MXT in salt water? Everytime I get my MXT with 6x10dd coil in 6" or more of water it screams like he....
If I switch mine to "Salt" mode, I can still leave the Threshold at 10 with no problems... You ARE switching it to salt mode, right?
If you are, it might just be that your machine is a bit more particular, or it could be that the beach you are hunting has more mineralization... Florida beaches are very low in mineralization...
Today I am going to get the bike innertube ready to go hunt in the water.... The 12" coil stayed on the bottom pretty good, but the darn 6 X 10 floats like a cork, so I need some weight to hold it down... I think the wet-sand filled tube will do nicely..
 
erikk said:
That is why I have 3 of them (I used to be a boy scout-Be Prepared)
HaHa, My motto is "two is one and one is none."
 
I am running it in salt mode. The beaches are in North Carolina around the southern coast. I guess it is just the mineralization. Thanks!
 
I weighted down my shaft right near the coil with the sand-filled bike tube, and found that if I went over about a foot deep in the water, it would overload big time... I have no idea why, but fearing a small pin hole or similar in the coil wire somewhere, got out of the water... The last thing I need now is to have both machines in the shop for repair.... I guess I should have tried it with the threshold turned down some, as I had it on 10 while doing it.. Maybe if I had set it to 6 or so it wouldnt have happened. I sure miss my Excal...
 
You're braver than I am. The way my luck runs, I'd drop my MXT if I was walking over a mud puddle.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom