What's new

Excal tones

TexasRT

Full Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
236
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was able to get out for a couple of hours this evening. This is my third time out with the new Excal, and I'm needing some info on the tones. Are the different tones suppose to be distinctly different or do they sound so close to the same that you can barely tell the difference in them. It just seems like everything sounds the same to me, maybe I'm just not hearing the differences. I bench tested a quarter, gold ring, and a sterling ring and I could just BARELY hear the differences if any, is this normal?
Has anyone ever got an Excal or know of anyone that got one that everything just sounded the same, I mainly want to know if it's the machine or me.
I have a good steady threshold.

Thanks
 
Upvote 0
If you cable is flopping in the surf it will give you false signals, it needs to either be wrapped or secured to the shaft with Velcro, tape or something. I wrap mine, then I have it taped with black electrical tape where it goes in and comes out of the wrap, and I have Velcro wraps as well.

An unstable detector is useless to me,personally I adjust my sensitivity for each hunt and even different parts of the same hunt on the same beach if I notice the Excal starting to false. I have the original Excal 1000's, the sensitivity knobs are not incriminated like it is on the Excal II. I will start out in auto on the wet sand and adjust it down when it starts becoming unstable. In the water most times it is set at what would be between 11-1 o'clock position on the dial if it were a clock, and have even set it as high as the 3 o'clock position a few times. Even at 3 o'clock, I have dug targets well over 12 inches at a beach........
 
I've got my cable wrapped good and tight along the shaft and secured with (zip ties) or ty-wraps. The only part of the cable that's not secure is about 3-4" at the coil for pivoting. I've got the extra bunch of extra cable wrapped tight just below the cam nut and that seems be to were it does it the most. I may try moving that to the upper part of the shaft just for grins.
 
Here is my plan to test my ears.

I have taken a pool noodle and cut it into small donut shapes so I can run some string thru them. I will then attach the string to various metal items and bury them in a relatively small (100" x100") and isolated area of the beach I normally hunt. Then I will field test my ears by passing over the area with the excal and try to determine what is burried near the noodle. I'm going to put out about 10 - 15 items and mix them up from foil to gold. fyi - I put the coins in a small ziplock bag and tie the string to the bag. The reason for the noodle is so I can find everything later.
 
I know on my Sovereign GT which I assume has similar tones as the Excalibur the tones get muddled with high sensitivity settings. In good conditions I can ID about 5 different tones but most of the beaches I hunt are pretty nasty and the tones are a little harder to separate. I dig everything on the beach anyway so it's not a problem. Here's a video on my favorite beach where I've been experimenting hunting with the iron mask off lately. No gold on this hunt. Can You ID the tones?


 
crazyman - I wasn't able to id all the tones, but I sure liked the Santana music LOL.
Folks the class this morning has been a wealth of knowledge, I appreciate everyone's time and advance and now I'm going to put it all to use, headed to the beach.

Trust me you'll know if I find anything worth posting 8)

HH all...
 
TexasRT, did you notice the big tone difference once the target was out of the hole? My son provided the music. He's a guitarist and likes playing Santana.
 
The tones are hard to tell apart a smaller gold ring will give a soft spongey sound kind of like foil but cleaner love it when my excal makes that sound. You about have to dig every good solid tone on the beach if you want to get the gold. The new excal II is more sensitive to the small stuff than the old one only difference I can tell. Now why oh why does minelab still sell the excal with that awful rod they ship it with after 15 years and many of these never even being used why have they not changed it. That is about the worst balance and set up of any detector o have ever seen sold. Think after all this time some one there would have gotten the idea. The excal is a good detector but I just wish minelab would get it's act together and make some progress and take care of there customers. If you have a problem. Good luck. Come on minelab we are paying big bucks for these detectors send us a rod that is usable.

Jason
 
"Crisp"........."Smooth".........."Solid".........These are the three words I use to describe good digging tones with the Excall because pitch can change quite a bit depending on a lot of factors. However, deep targets can sometimes hit and miss and act broken, so when I'm in doubt I always dig.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom