What's new

Reverse Discrimination Question

Sand Swinger

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2025
Messages
711
Reaction score
1,823
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field PI
Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab X-Terra Elite
Previously owned: Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro & XS-2 Pro,
Garrett ATPro & ACE 350,
Fisher 1220X, White's Coinmaster IV, Heathkit.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve been running a Sovereign Elite on the beach for the last 15 years and have recently acquired a Dual Field PI that I use strictly for wet and shallow salt water. My Sov has auto iron reject in discrim mode as well as multiple pitch tones based on target conductivity, also has all-metal mode. When hunting the dry, I use discrim mode but keep discrim & notch knobs at 0. I’m not looking to discriminate out targets; I only use that mode to get auto iron rejection and multiple pitch tones to help me get a potential target ID.

I’ll also use discrim mode first when hunting the wet at an unfamiliar beach, to determine if there’s any iron present. If there’s not a lot of iron, I’ll switch over to my Dual Field.

This is widely known, but I always tend to get better depth when using all-metal mode vs. discrim. So, many times, I’ll hunt in all-metal, then switch over to discrim mode to get a possible target ID based on tones, and if the target is iron, the auto iron reject will null the signal, saving me a lot of digging.

Dilemma: Since all-metal mode is deeper than discrim mode, let’s say I get a signal that might be just at the all-metal mode’s limit of detection depth. If I switch over to discrim mode, the target might now be just below discrim mode’s detection depth, so if I don’t hear a signal when switching over to discrim, I assume it’s probably iron and the auto iron reject has nulled the signal. But what if it’s good target, just below the discrim mode’s detection depth?

Question: Just wondering how other reverse discrimination hunters handle this type of situation. Are there any tricks or techniques I might not be aware of that can minimize the chance that I’ll abandon a potentially good target if I don’t hear a signal when switching over to discrim mode?

And yeah, I know, I usually dig it all when beach hunting, especially when I’m running the PI, but the idea of using reverse discrimination is to minimize and/or help reduce the number of holes I need to dig when hunting in all-metal. Any tips, tricks, ideas?
 
Upvote 0
If you have good signal in all metal, and no signal in discrimination, remove a scoop of dirt, check, keep removing dirt/sand until you get signal in desc mode.

I hunt in reverse disc with my excals....
 
Take out a scoop or two. Recheck for a null or tone. It’s really the only way to be consistent and with minimal effort.🤙
Thanks, I had forgotten about that. I usually take a scoop or two when getting a questionable or scratchy tone, but when hunting in all-metal then switching to discrim, I just thought it was iron and the Sov's discrim mode was nulling it out. Now, in retrospect, guess I'm having a "duh" moment, lol.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OBN
If you have good signal in all metal, and no signal in discrimination, remove a scoop of dirt, check, keep removing dirt/sand until you get signal in desc mode.

I hunt in reverse disc with my excals....
Thanks TH, appreciate your input. As I mentioned to 1KBlueTuber, I'm now having a "duh" moment, don't know why I didn't think of that before. I take extra scoops when getting questionable or scratchy signals to check if the signal cleans up, don't know why I didn't do that when hunting in reverse discrimination. I probably thought that it was iron and my iron reject in discrim mode was just nulling it out. If I could only go back in time, lol.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom