Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best finds ever. Pulled this with the AT-Pro and 5"x8" coil 5 inches underground about 15 feet from home plate. Home plate is part of a softball field behind a church that was built in the mid-1800s. I was shaking. When I saw in the plug, I immediately put it into my cargo pants pocket and ran cool water over it at home; no scrubbing. Sent it in to NGC and it received an XF Details grade. The "Improperly Cleaned" probably came from the fact its been underground for a very long time. Love it...it has excellent eye appeal.

aj DSC01053.JPG DSC01055.JPG DSC01057.JPG DSC01064.JPG

Upvote 16

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Beautiful Coin.

I suppose any Cleaning not done by the Grading Co, Is "Improperly Cleaned"

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin! Still looking for a seated here.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful find! If running cold water over the coin earned you an improperly cleaned comment ....imagine what they would say if you cleaned it with steel wool? You must report for a flogging ?
....Off with his head?....or just let us do it for a. "Small fee " ?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, nice seated. Just curious...how much did that grading cost you? It's a shame that they felt the need to put "improperly cleaned" in the grading description, that is an insult IMHO. You could have posted it here and got a pretty good idea of condition...just sayin'.

OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One must be a 'member' for an annual fee of $40 to have coins graded; then the fee is approximately $30 per coin. The cost does vary depending upon the coin, however.

aj

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Congrats! I have thought about sending one or two finds to a tpg. Seems like you're right about silver coming out of the ground...it preserves it but to most it should not be that shiny. I posted a seated dime on the pcgs chat boards and most thought it was cleaned but it was only rinsed with water

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's only "improperly cleaned" because you didn't pay the hoity toity to do the cleanin' for you. So THEY
could run it under some EXPENSIVE water.

BLINGH20.jpg

"Harumpf! Harumpf! Harumpf! HEY! I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!" ;)

Excellent coin!

alb1

Jan 15, 2014
Weselberg, Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030, my favorite E-Trac & NEL Tornado. Garrett Carrot, (Previously, MXT PRO with D2 and SEF 10x12 coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Screw those grading companies. They hate metal detecting as a whole anyway. Excellent find!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't knock the grading company, they are just judging the coin by it's surfaces which is what they should do. The fine scratches on the coin are visible in the picture, to the grader these are evidence of cleaning although on a dug coin it may be from soil movement. Like it or not, the coin does have damage, so the grader must make note of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the "Details" certification. NGC received a coin not knowing its history (i.e., pulled from the ground via metal detecting) and there are issues. I am amazed, however, of the overall condition itself, especially comparing it to my other finds in the same field. The property behind the church was old farmland, so the coppers (e.g., one large cent, one KGII, one IH, one 1837 Canadian bank token, and scores of Lincolns) were all toasted, and the SLQ and silver Washingtons were beat up. I am excited about this coin and felt it needed grading and, first and foremost, an archival holder.

aj

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not have mattered, if ngc cleaned it or not. Graded coins are looked at under a microscope. There would be micro scratches from dirt whether you just run water on them or sent it in straight from the hole. Either way your coin is now preserved and saved and very beautiful

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will give you an idea of what they see. This picture was taken thru my buddy's microscope at his coin shop. This is a 2 reale that I just found. Notice the tiny little scratches from it moving around in the dirt. It's just the nature of our hobby. Your coin looks great

image-962091360.jpg

image-3021137293.jpg

image-2077404240.jpg

image-3142383416.jpg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin. I agree with everyone else. My friend also sent a coin to one of the grading companies. He did the same thing, just ran water over it & they sent it back "improperly cleaned".

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Most excellent find. I wouldn't complain about the grading. If you told them the details of how you found it they might have called it "environmental damage" instead which to me is a worse thing to have on a slabbed coin. It has scratches that don't belong on a coin that's been circulated but never tampered with regardless of what label they put on it. I sure would be happy to find one that nice.

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buff that thing with some rubbing compound and a dremel tool,,, that will bring the shine out!!! then send it back o them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread