Extra-extra... Large full groove axe

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While attending the Collinsville, IL artifact show over the weekend I saw hundreds of very noteworthy artifacts (out of thousands) that would have been worthy of mention here, but chose just a few to post on.
This show had collectors/hunters from all over the nation displaying their stuff in two large grand rooms totaling more sq. ft. than half a football field. I believe there was a notation saying that the axe below was discovered in the early 1900's ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425867748.484869.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425867770.536852.jpg

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
imagine trying to swing that thing!

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That is a cool piece. Last time I was a C-ville, they guy with that ax had some pictures, and a video of another (if not the same) large ax halfted, and they were demonstrating one in use anyway. If I remember correctly, that was part of a cache of large axes.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is a big monster. It would be interesting to see that piece with magnification to see if it has any use wear or not. I've seen some both very large and very small axes/celts with zero use wear, so probably just ceremonial burial items. But then I have also see some with heavy use wear that defies the logic of how we would use an axe or celt. We would haft and swing it like an axe, and that clearly isn't possible with a piece like that. (I've seen a 20 lbs sledge hammer and it would tear up your shoulder joint pretty quickly if you tried to swing it sideways, I can't imagine swinging a 38 lbs weight.)

That is a cool piece. Last time I was a C-ville, they guy with that ax had some pictures, and a video of another (if not the same) large ax halfted, and they were demonstrating one in use anyway. If I remember correctly, that was part of a cache of large axes.

There might be others, but last time I went they had this cache on display. Larry has done some very cool demonstrations with axes.

Largest Cache Of Axes Ever Found

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
That's a nice barbed raised ridge. Sweet piece!! I've got one similar. I doubt I'll ever find another one. Grooved axes are rare. The raised ridge is another type of rare.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrmmm,,

The way I see huge tools like this is,,,,

Those peoples who built and used such big tools MUST have been quite a bit larger than the stereotypical "native" we all think of when it comes to those ancient times.

I HIGHLY doubt that it was not used by anyone of normal stature,,Someone a few posts up stated it would be nice to see if it was used. I fully agree,, if it was used then it was NOT used by anyone of the normal height / stature.

Just an observation

Hit

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hrmmm,,

The way I see huge tools like this is,,,,

Those peoples who built and used such big tools MUST have been quite a bit larger than the stereotypical "native" we all think of when it comes to those ancient times.

I HIGHLY doubt that it was not used by anyone of normal stature,,Someone a few posts up stated it would be nice to see if it was used. I fully agree,, if it was used then it was NOT used by anyone of the normal height / stature.

Just an observation

Hit

It all depends on how the thing was halfted, and swung. The demonstration I saw showed that it could be used by people of normal (our) size. It was only raised and dropped, not swung like one would normally swing a pick or sledgehammer.

OP
OP
M

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get a chance to ask the owner of this axe if he knew the geographical context in which it was found,but here in Fulton County the big ones are usually found in the Illinois or Spoon River bottom fields. These were backwater swamps and lakes that have been drained for agricultural purposes. The general theory I've heard is that they were probably used for breaking ice in the winter to set and pull fish ( and/or other types of) traps. If the a long handle passed through the groove a distance, one person could have steadied the axe while another lifted and dropped it. I did check out the bit end on the one pictured here and it has a sharp edge and what may look in the picture like just a shadow running across the bottom of the axe is a fine polish indicating probable use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread