F-75 (original) Continues to Impress

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Odd little hunt this morning once again left me impressed with my trusty F-75. Yesterday after supper I was out "stump shooting" in practice for an upcoming traditional archery shoot. I was tossing wood arrows with blunt tips. One long shot (80 yards +/-) along a power-line right of way put the arrow somewhere in marshy moss and dead goldenrod & long grass mat left over from the winter. I looked until dark and could not find the arrow.

Normally I'd have called it a loss, but I needed all my arrows for the upcoming shoot (there's always some attrition with wood arrows). We had thunderstorms and much rain last night, but at dawn it was sunny so I grabbed my F-75 and headed out. When I got to within about 200 ft of the powerlines I turned on the detector. "Oh oh". Even that far away from the high-tension poles I was in a world of chatter. I turned the sensitivity down to 40 and disc. to 4. The only metal on my arrow was a blunt tip - a steel cylinder about the size of a Bic pen cap. After 5 minutes of working around the target (a hummock of grass along the right-of-way) I had become used to the chatter pattern and noted a definate hit just a yard past it and off to one side - about 30 feet from the overhead lines. It was a shotgun slug. I spiralled the target and got a low chirp about 15 feet in front of the target. Very distinct from the chatter. I turned over the moss - nothing. I pinpointed the hit and found the steel head down 4" in a puddle that formed as I moved soil This was maybe 40 ft from the overhead lines (and 50 ft below). Going to probably need straightening once dry, but the arrow returns.

As I took off my headset I could hear the powerlines sizzling above me. That's buckets of EMI. I am very impressed the F-75 could find a steel target that close to wet powerlines!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Charlie! Have you tried the 5" coil? Its DEADLY!!!!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F-75 runs on one frequency (13kHz). How is it better than their CZ line (which are dual frequency) or other detectors that run at multi-frequency? I dont get it? :-\

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Better circuits, blazing fast recovery, and special iron tactics needed to beat the old cz down. Dual frequency not required, but certainly effective as seen in the cz. The cz dual frequency machines came out in '93, that's about fifteen years before the F series design. I cant help to think that the F-75 blows an old cz machine out of the water (or park or old battleground).

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont know about that gleaner. I think some will agree newer doesnt always mean better.
CZ is hard to beat. What does Dankowski say about it I wonder? I think he is the foremost authority on the Fisher CZ and F series.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
CoilFisher it they offered me a brand new cz21 or an F75 I would fall into a never-ending spiral of torment and angst and indecision and it would drive me mad but I would walk down to the bar and have a beer and order the F75.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would walk down to the bar and ask to detect their lawn. :laughing7:

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now I dont know enough about the F-75 yet to give it a fair opinion. I need to use it a bit more.
The F-75 has definitely found some silver and some older type coins that I had not found before with the CZ. Coincidence? Maybe? Maybe not?
I also have dug alot of bottle caps with the F-75...alot more than with the CZ.
So being it a bar area...bottlecaps....being not too familiar with the F series....at this point in time....I think I would take the CZ.

Anyone else digging alot of bottle caps with the F-75? Or is it just me?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread