What's new

fake Spanish cob or medal?

Moe (fl)

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
731
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this recently at the beach. Is this a fake Spanish cob?

It is non-magnetic. It may be silver plated with copper. There is an 'M' on the top right side.
 

Attachments

  • f1.webp
    f1.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • f2.webp
    f2.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • f3.webp
    f3.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • f4.webp
    f4.webp
    20 KB · Views: 1,012
  • f5.webp
    f5.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 955
  • f7.webp
    f7.webp
    20 KB · Views: 955
  • f6.webp
    f6.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 947
Re: fake Spanish cob?

This could be a real 1 moe.Can you clean it a bit and post more pics?Im sure some 1 will nail it with all the cob pros on tnet!
 
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

I will have to clean it more. Posted 3 more pics.

Moe
 

Attachments

  • f8.webp
    f8.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 989
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

Fake cobs are usually pot metal. I agree with relicdude.
 
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

I see two pillars (see picture below) on the other side (Spanish pillar wave).

It looks silver plated over copper. I am wondering if this was a piece of jewelry.
 

Attachments

  • f9.webp
    f9.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 926
  • f9.webp
    f9.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 851
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

Silver coins can turn green in saltwater. Are you sure its copper?

Chagy's pic aboard Seahunter found Jupiter Inlet.. (not my pic)
 

Attachments

  • cobs silver in saltwater.webp
    cobs silver in saltwater.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,445
  • cobs silver in saltwater.webp
    cobs silver in saltwater.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,080
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

I'll have to take better pictures this week. I will try to clean it more.
 
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

I know of no cobs with pillars on them (I'll look to make sure).And don't think it would look that way if it was real!The earlist ones were round later they began to make odd shaped ones as demands grew! These are two I found on a salt water beach.And other than the black tarnish they have no other damage.Even ones I've seen come from overboard with sea growth still look good underneath.So in my opinion not real!
Reguards Pete

(1 Real's)should weigh around 3gms
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0962[1].webp
    DSCN0962[1].webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 876
  • DSCN0962[1].webp
    DSCN0962[1].webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 828
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

timekiller said:
I know of no cobs with pillars on them (I'll look to make sure).And don't think it would look that way if it was real!The earlist ones were round later they began to make odd shaped ones as demands grew! These are two I found on a salt water beach.And other than the black tarnish they have no other damage.Even ones I've seen come from overboard with sea growth still look good underneath.So in my opinion not real!
Reguards Pete

(1 Real's)should weigh around 3gms
I think hes referring to the milled pillar reale or the pillars and waves type cob. . I cant see enough of the item thru the corrosion to say either way at this point. I think the green is caused by the copper leeching out of the silver. They are commonly called here found on the beach as "greenies."
Nice cobs.
 

Attachments

  • spanish pillars & waves.webp
    spanish pillars & waves.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • spanish pillars & waves.webp
    spanish pillars & waves.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 866
  • spanish pillar reale mexico.webp
    spanish pillar reale mexico.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,214
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

bigcypresshunter said:
timekiller said:
I know of no cobs with pillars on them (I'll look to make sure).And don't think it would look that way if it was real!The earlist ones were round later they began to make odd shaped ones as demands grew! These are two I found on a salt water beach.And other than the black tarnish they have no other damage.Even ones I've seen come from overboard with sea growth still look good underneath.So in my opinion not real!
Reguards Pete

(1 Real's)should weigh around 3gms
I think hes referring to the milled pillar reale or the pillars and waves type cob. . I cant see enough of the item thru the corrosion to say either way at this point. I think the green is caused by the copper leeching out of the silver. They are commonly called here found on the beach as "greenies."
Nice cobs.
Ok gottcha miss understood :thumbsup: Yea even the ones you show there (Are they yours?) -(nice if so) in your hand would clean up nice and is what I was talking about.Sorry!
 
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

timekiller said:
bigcypresshunter said:
timekiller said:
I know of no cobs with pillars on them (I'll look to make sure).And don't think it would look that way if it was real!The earlist ones were round later they began to make odd shaped ones as demands grew! These are two I found on a salt water beach.And other than the black tarnish they have no other damage.Even ones I've seen come from overboard with sea growth still look good underneath.So in my opinion not real!
Reguards Pete

(1 Real's)should weigh around 3gms
I think hes referring to the milled pillar reale or the pillars and waves type cob. . I cant see enough of the item thru the corrosion to say either way at this point. I think the green is caused by the copper leeching out of the silver. They are commonly called here found on the beach as "greenies."
Nice cobs.
Ok gottcha miss understood :thumbsup: Yea even the ones you show there (Are they yours?) -(nice if so) in your hand would clean up nice and is what I was talking about.Sorry!
No I only found one 8 reale cob in the early 80's and a few pieces near the beach and some milled reales in the mangrove swamps. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,48541.0.html The hand is my friend Chagy. Cobs were found on the Seahunter. Not my pic.


Heres another greenie (not mine) Are you sure its copper Moe?
 

Attachments

  • mitch half reales.webp
    mitch half reales.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 784
  • greenie.webp
    greenie.webp
    83.4 KB · Views: 815
  • mitch half reales.webp
    mitch half reales.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 735
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

bigcypresshunter said:
timekiller said:
bigcypresshunter said:
timekiller said:
I know of no cobs with pillars on them (I'll look to make sure).And don't think it would look that way if it was real!The earlist ones were round later they began to make odd shaped ones as demands grew! These are two I found on a salt water beach.And other than the black tarnish they have no other damage.Even ones I've seen come from overboard with sea growth still look good underneath.So in my opinion not real!
Reguards Pete

(1 Real's)should weigh around 3gms
I think hes referring to the milled pillar reale or the pillars and waves type cob. . I cant see enough of the item thru the corrosion to say either way at this point. I think the green is caused by the copper leeching out of the silver. They are commonly called here found on the beach as "greenies."
Nice cobs.
Ok gottcha miss understood :thumbsup: Yea even the ones you show there (Are they yours?) -(nice if so) in your hand would clean up nice and is what I was talking about.Sorry!
No I only found one 8 reale cob in the early 80's and a few pieces near the beach and some milled reales in the mangrove swamps. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,48541.0.html The hand is my friend Chagy. Cobs were found on the Seahunter. Not my pic.


Heres another greenie (not mine) Are you sure its copper Moe?
I bet the eight made your day! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Yea all these silvers I found came from salt water beaches.None of mine ever was in to bad of shape so did not take much cleaning.Just wore sometimes from grinding in the sand! :(
Take Care BigC,Hope you find another someday! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0981.webp
    DSCN0981.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 803
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

timekiller said:
I bet the eight made your day! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
I didnt really know what it was when I found it. ::) I took it to a coin dealer who told me it was fake for sure. I cleaned it, saved it in my junk box (believe it or not) all these years, learned to use a computer and posted it here many years later, also showed it to members in person to have it IDed as real.. I also once used a milled reale I just found, in a telephone booth, to make a phone call when my truck was broke down. ::) Thats one I regret. :'(
 

Attachments

  • spanish cob found.webp
    spanish cob found.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,215
  • spanish cob found.webp
    spanish cob found.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,227
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

Sweet Spanish cob Moe (fl) :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

maybe its a button? collar disc engineer wwi.webp
 

Attachments

  • collar disc engineer wwi.webp
    collar disc engineer wwi.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,099
  • f9.webp
    f9.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

What ever it is it's a cool find. I get down there three times a year. Unless there's a storm I usually average one good piece a year. You local guys have it covered!! Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

I cleaned this item a little a now can see that the 'M' is a 'W' and there is an 'A' next to it ('WA').

I need to take new pictures.
 

Attachments

  • f10.webp
    f10.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0
Re: fake Spanish cob?

Was able to clean this piece a little.

I can see letters 'LM' and 'WAY'. The other side looks like part of a religious medal. It is silver plated. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • f11.webp
    f11.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 546
  • f11b.webp
    f11b.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 538
  • f12.webp
    f12.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 0
A tough one to ID Moe. I guess we can safely rule out Spanish cob.
 
Upvote 0
It might be a religious 3 or 4 way medal. The upper right kinda looks like the Miraculous Medal marking.
:dontknow:
miraculous medal.webp Behold St. Christopher and go your WAY in safety?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom