jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love equinox the only problem I have is that it seems to give high tones on iron, I dig alot of good sounding tone thinking it's a good target and iron comes out. NM dan and I were hunting a park , dan uses the CTX , I got 25/26/27 signal at 8in the signal was repeatable , dan checked the signal and he it was iron that no high tone was coming through the cursor on the ctx was showing it was iron . So I dug the plug and and out come s out iron wow!!. Wondering it anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Those FBS detectors are great in identifying iron. The FE number shows the ferrous reading on those, and the higher it is, it is almost always an iron target. No other detectors on the market has the FE CO numbers. The FBS technology has saved me some digging. There are some that dig it all. I don't. I am sure i have missed some things by not digging it all, but i have tried, and after digging 20 junk targets, it gets tiring. The FBS helps me weed out targets that are undesirable to me.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the old software, the Nox falsing usually has certain characteristics to it, like being scratchy, one-way, moving around, or being the tip or edge of a larger elongated iron object (when interrogated with pinpoint and all metal). If you are using the newest software then I would suggest rolling it back. This solved all my falsing woes, especially with the 6" coil. Now it is rare for me to dig iron, but those round rusty bolt heads or nuts still get me.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, check the target with the horseshoe button if you are unsure. An iron grunt along with the high tone is a probable false, especially if you get only a one way tone. There are a lot of nuanced tells to iron that become more obvious with experience on the machine.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also take note of how strong of a pinpoint you get vs the depth reading. 8 inch deep coin will pinpoint fairly weak. Usually an iron nail will false somewhat weak then pinpoint strong......which is a red flag for me! Coins also signal off differently than iron. Iron has a flat tone where a coin has the classic round (tighter) sound.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you played around with iron bias?

Attachments

• equinox iron bias.jpg
    equinox iron bias.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 93

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, check the target with the horseshoe button if you are unsure. An iron grunt along with the high tone is a probable false, especially if you get only a one way tone. There are a lot of nuanced tells to iron that become more obvious with experience on the machine.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense, although I have had just two weeks of training with my EQ 800 before winter arrived to the interior of Alaska. Anyway, I have watched some videos on "youtube" where the person switches the detector to All Metals to help ID trash targets. The following is one of those videos that I found interesting, but haven't had the opportunity to try it. Just ignore the gold nugget stuff and wait for the guy to pump the coil over a good/bad target.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old video and the pumping thing this guy does is actually been debunked months ago. Just need to swing the coil normally side-to-side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread