Family briefly considered CoinStar after finding 1,000,000 penny cache

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Posted this in the Cache Hunting forum because technically it's a cache. But the people who found the million pennies considered pushing them through a CoinStar machine until the 8% rake turned them off. I thought 8% was the fee 20 years ago or so, but I haven't used a CoinStar in a long time. Here's the link if you are interested in reading the thread, which also contains a link to the actual article, which has some decent pictures:

Cache city! Family finds 1,000,000 pennies in crawl space.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have seen several news items related to this find. The best had a photo of the bags and boxes of pennies. AMAZING big pile. Sorry, I didn't grab the link.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of them were initially rolled, but the paper had degraded to dust by the time they were found. Click the link and check out the pics. It looks like a late 19th century bank robbery under that house...
That thought flashed through my mind. But I decided to be positive and go with the old standard: "A penny saved is a penny earned." I am sure however that there will be folks searching for any old reports of a heist of a million pennies

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Logistics and the machine's capacity aside, imagine if they had. They'd take a 12 percent loss just on face value. All told, they would have gotten a little over a third of what these are worth for their copper content. And that's without factoring in any rare dates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread