Fan's Roman Site - Day 2 - 2 Hammered...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly this is my finds for 3 hours of hunting without Cru'dad.
But I was with Land-Mag (thanks for the lift:icon_thumright:) today because this Site holds a special place in his heart, as it was named after his deceased dog who found it whilst chasing bunnies. I too miss that dog, amazing intelligence was just one of its many good traits.
He ended up with 6 scrappies.

Me:

10 Scrappies
Broken Roman Nail Cleaner
Celtic La Tene Fibula (Brooch)
Ed II Hammered Farthing
Alexander II 1250-80 Scottish Cut Qrter Hammered

Funny how it works out. I thought we would get between 80-100 scrappies & 1 Roman Silver from the whole area (circa 8 days gridding) & I thought a hammered was less likely.
I hope we get 1 Roman Silver because we got none in January.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Upvote 26

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I was with Land-Mag (thanks for the lift:icon_thumright:) today because this Site holds a special place in his heart, as it was named after his deceased dog who found it whilst chasing bunnies. I too miss that dog, amazing intelligence was just one of its many good traits.

Me:

10 Scrappies
Ed II Hammered Farthing

Funny how it works out. I thought we would get between 80-100 scrappies & 1 Roman Silver from the whole area (circa 8 days gridding) & I thought a hammered was less likely.

View attachment 2008066 View attachment 2008067 View attachment 2008068 View attachment 2008069
Awesome!!!! You All Never Disappoint๐Ÿ˜ณ!!!!
Wow!!! Congrats!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your determination to continue always grants you big rewards
Itโ€™s great to see all the history
Well Done

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the "63"? A bird band? On a side note, question actually, what did the people back in the hammered days use to cut the coins to make change? I've never seen one of the tools used to do this. Most of the time, the cuts look very even and precise, and the coin doesn't seem to get curled like it would if you use some tin snips. Is it because the tool was probably made of steel or similar, and that they probably rusted away in the field? Granted, most of us discriminate out iron, but, not everyone does. I would think that some of those tools would be found from time to time. Were these tools generally carried by most people, and in the same pouch as their coins?

Lanesmom

Mar 28, 2020
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Me:

10 Scrappies
Ed II Hammered Farthing

View attachment 2008066 View attachment 2008067 View attachment 2008068 View attachment 2008069
Very Nice!!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the "63"? A bird band? On a side note, question actually, what did the people back in the hammered days use to cut the coins to make change? I've never seen one of the tools used to do this. Most of the time, the cuts look very even and precise, and the coin doesn't seem to get curled like it would if you use some tin snips. Is it because the tool was probably made of steel or similar, and that they probably rusted away in the field? Granted, most of us discriminate out iron, but, not everyone does. I would think that some of those tools would be found from time to time. Were these tools generally carried by most people, and in the same pouch as their coins?
I always figured cut coins were cut by placing their sharp knife on it and smacking it with something heavy; hatchet, butt of pistol, rock, etc.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds reasonable......I guess all the knives lost must have rusted away.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Pigeon ring from a 1963 Racing Pigeon.

Most cut halves & Qrters are cut at the Mint where they had the right tools & yes they were like tin snips. Weight of silver was paramount & during a period when chipping small bits off the edge of coins got your hands chopped off or worse, it was only done by 'professionals', so to speak.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Me:

10 Scrappies
Ed II Hammered Farthing

I hope we get 1 Roman Silver because we got none in January

Me:

10 Scrappies
Ed II Hammered Farthing

Awesome coins! You always pull some great relics. Congratulations!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver, always like it when the little cut silver are found.
I had a little :laughing7: when I read the line.

"I hope we get 1 Roman Silver because we got none in January."
Darn Celtic's for jumping under the coil. :laughing7:

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Me:

10 Scrappies
Ed II Hammered Farthing

Great finds, what part of England are you from just curious as I'm from England too

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I hope we get 1 Roman Silver because we got none in January."
Darn Celtic's for jumping under the coil. :laughing7:
I know I'm not complaining just been awhile.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i love the cut coins and the story of how money (coins) developed from intrinsic value, based on metal, purity and weight to what we have today, based on a wish and a prayer.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice FINDS I think the round thing with the 63 is a type of leg band for some type of bird or water fowl

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice FINDS I think the round thing with the 63 is a type of leg band for some type of bird or water fowl
Nearly, its a the Nation Union for Pigeon Racing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions