What's new

Fantastic Silver results from 17 Bags

oldred

Full Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber
I've spent the last two days searching through 17 bags of half's. The results were really amazing based upon the number of keepers and especially the number of 90% half's. Also, I was able to find one Barber half (my 4th) some Walking Liberties, Ben Franklin's and 15 foreign coins. All of the 15 foreign coins came out of the same bag. I sure hope this awesome luck I've been enjoying lately continues.

My best bag produced 341 keepers and many were 90%. Every handful contained silver when pulled out of the bag.

The foreign coins were a treat to fine. I really liked the 1977 5 Mark piece from Germany, 1962 Silver Canadian Half, and the 1943 Australia Penny. One was so old and worn,. I couldn't figure out where it was from.

823 Keepers

40 % - 497 (1 was a 1976S)

1964s - 280

Barber - 1

Walking Liberty - 11

Ben Franklin's - 19

Foreign - 15

_________________________________________________

2007 CRH Totals Since 9 March
Barber: 4
Walkers: 142
Franklin's: 232
90% Kennedy's : 942
40% Kennedy's : 7420
40% Silver Proof Halves: 7
90% Silver Comm: 1 1923 Monroe/Adams Comm.
1970 Kennedy: 6

​
 

Attachments

  • P1170005.webp
    P1170005.webp
    61.5 KB · Views: 560
  • P1170010.webp
    P1170010.webp
    80.3 KB · Views: 559
  • P1170011.webp
    P1170011.webp
    72.7 KB · Views: 547
  • fOREIGN cOINS.webp
    fOREIGN cOINS.webp
    158.2 KB · Views: 536
  • bARBER.webp
    bARBER.webp
    18 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0
Ooooh my gosh Rog.......you did it again!!!! Another grand slam!! Wahoooo.....

Once again, congrats to you and Mrs. OR & be sure to tell her that for me please.

You have hit a vein and apparently it goes pretty deep....ha! I'm just sitting here calculating the profit in my head......it's incredible!

I hope the next load is just as good. Keep riding that wave Rog.........

BTW - Again, the pictures are well done......sweet!
 
I wanna see a picture of almost 10,000 silver half dollars all together :) That
would be a sight ! You too LJ, get that camera in that vault !!

Your photography turned amazing also, you get some lessons with all that $$$ ? :P

Were those (17) $1,000 bags ? Also what coin service do you order from ? Half
of the rest of us are getting refused orders on only a few boxes, due to low stocks at Brinks, Loomis etc etc. Would love to know how to get 60 boxes a week... I
personally dont see how or why a service would even consider doing that kind of work
for a single individual for no cost.

According to the Brinks and Loomis companies that service Western PA - to which I have
spoken with the regional bigwigs, that would be totally out of the question even for a Bank to request that much volume. The Brinks guy says even my 4 box per week is borderline and that Im lucky to be getting those regularly.

So, how you pullin this off Red ? 60 boxes a week would shut down the Tri-State area LOL.
Looking for some pointers !
 
That's great Red. Nice score. I know the feeling, I had one $500 dream bag. Same thing, every handfull, gobs of silver. Keep it up.
 
Raptor686 said:
I wanna see a picture of almost 10,000 silver half dollars all together :) That
would be a sight ! You too LJ, get that camera in that vault !!

Your photography turned amazing also, you get some lessons with all that $$$ ? :P

Were those (17) $1,000 bags ? Also what coin service do you order from ? Half
of the rest of us are getting refused orders on only a few boxes, due to low stocks at Brinks, Loomis etc etc. Would love to know how to get 60 boxes a week... I
personally dont see how or why a service would even consider doing that kind of work
for a single individual for no cost.

According to the Brinks and Loomis companies that service Western PA - to which I have
spoken with the regional bigwigs, that would be totally out of the question even for a Bank to request that much volume. The Brinks guy says even my 4 box per week is borderline and that Im lucky to be getting those regularly.

So, how you pullin this off Red ? 60 boxes a week would shut down the Tri-State area LOL.
Looking for some pointers !

Thanks Raptor for the response. That was 17 1K dollar bags. I really believe it boils down to where you live and what banking institution you are dealing with when ordering boxes of half's. I have personally ordered large amounts of coins from five different states without any problems. All of these were southern states. I was in Maryland about a month ago visiting my son and tried to order 10K from a bank and they thought I was crazy.

I was recently informed that I will be charged a fee in the future based upon the large amount I order each week. I plan to pay the fee based upon the amount of silver I've been fortunate to fine. I knew it would happen eventually. Just build your order up slowly and order from multiple branches to increase your weekly order.
 
Outstanding OR! Those are some serious drool-inducing pics. Congrats! Would love a close-up of the old worn foreign to try to ID it.
 
LOL, Pat Earl is out on bail , ya heard me ?

He sounds a little preturbed about somethin ! Little bit graphic for the younger
audiences... this ain't cell block D over hurr'
 
Raptor686 said:
Little bit graphic for the younger
audiences... this ain't cell block D over hurr'
He uses those racial slurs in my threads and I will report him to the mods. I think his "camouflaged" "N" word is a little much.
 
Immy said:
Outstanding OR! Those are some serious drool-enducing pics. Congrats! Would love a close-up of the old worn foreign to try to ID it.

Here are scanned photos of the coin. Any help would be great appreciated. The number inside the crest on the back is a three. It shows better in person. The other numbers on the back is 18 on one side and 00 on the other.
 

Attachments

  • Old Coin 5.webp
    Old Coin 5.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Old Coi 2.webp
    Old Coi 2.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 395
Oldred,

Congratulations on your finds and thank you for sharing.

Have you given an estimate to the additional value you have found from the 17 bags?

How long does it take you to go through one?
 
I'm guessing but since he doesn't have to open rolls he can go through a bag as quickly as a box. I can count each roll and go through a box in about 30-40 minutes. I would guess he can do a bag in about the same time.

BTW I've done about 35K and have been shorted on two rolls by one coin each. But I did find one bent quarter in a roll once. So I've only lost $.75 on boxes.
 
Thank you, Soldierman. Wow, that is impressive.

How do you unwrap and wrap the rolls back so quickly?

I'm going to order a bag from the CU today, and see what they say. :)
 
Nice going on the 1800 Austrian 3 Kreutzer ID there, MF. I would have been still looking! Could this be the oldest found so far this year, either US or foreign?
 
johnlvs2run said:
Thank you, Soldierman. Wow, that is impressive.

How do you unwrap and wrap the rolls back so quickly?

I'm going to order a bag from the CU today, and see what they say. :)

I cheat on counting. I quickly weigh each roll. A solid clad roll weighs in at about 224-226 grams. Anything below that is very likely a short roll. Any rolls 228 grams or higher likely has at least a 90% or several 40%ers and is set aside for last. Due to the fact that 20 worn coins are a bit lighter than freshly minted and my scale only reads to the gram. I can't truely predict contens of a roll but it does give you an idea. As for opening just tear into them like its a full roll of 90%. Then toss the rejects into my canvas bag and take them into the bank. No rerolling here!

Good luck on getting a bag... and good luck with its contents. I'd like to do a bag or two but haven't found a sorce for bags yet.
 
soldierman said:
johnlvs2run said:
Thank you, Soldierman. Wow, that is impressive.

How do you unwrap and wrap the rolls back so quickly?

I'm going to order a bag from the CU today, and see what they say. :)

I cheat on counting. I quickly weigh each roll. A solid clad roll weighs in at about 224-226 grams. Anything below that is very likely a short roll. Any rolls 228 grams or higher likely has at least a 90% or several 40%ers and is set aside for last. Due to the fact that 20 worn coins are a bit lighter than freshly minted and my scale only reads to the gram. I can't truely predict contens of a roll but it does give you an idea. As for opening just tear into them like its a full roll of 90%. Then toss the rejects into my canvas bag and take them into the bank. No rerolling here!

Good luck on getting a bag... and good luck with its contents. I'd like to do a bag or two but haven't found a sorce for bags yet.

Thanks Soldierman for answering the question. I do pretty much the same thing. Since my dump banks allow me to bring in loose halfs already in the plastic coin bags, I weigh the full 1K dollar bag on a super calibrated scale and ensure it reads close to 50 pounds as possible. I have turned in countless bags and haven't been short yet. This is exactly what the Distribution Center does when they receive them. It sure beats counting every single coin.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom