AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these buttons tonight in a farm field dating back to the 1850s. First time in this field but judging by the buttons I think I'll be headed back in the near future. I'm not exactly sure on the age of the buttons, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.Thanks for looking. HH

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444353677.444165.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444353697.027457.jpg

Upvote 4
They certainly predate 1850 and I'd give the large one a 20 minute lemon juice soak with a little bushing every 5 minutes or so, just to make sure there is not a letter on there.

What do you guys think is a reasonable guess on the age?

Those buttons definitely indicate a pretty old site.... Like IP and Oxbow said above. Nice finds.

I see large cents in your future!

Steve

What do you guys think is a reasonable guess on the age?

Hard to say and they could be different ages... but if I would have just said 1820 I don't think too many, or anyone would have argued that. So 1820. :)

It really doesn't matter exactly how old because they are old enough to try and find more targets where you dug them.

I took your advice IP, I soaked the larger one that was missing the shank. It removed a bunch of the gunk but no new details or markings that I can see.

NOT BUSTING CHOPS BUT I WOULD DELUTE THE JUICE WITH WATER AS NOT TO BURN THE COIN . I HAD A COIN AND BUTTON THAT IT CAUSED A BLEMISH ON . BUT NEEET FIND I WAS JUST SAYING EARLIER I GOT TO FIND A DANG CORN FEILD TO ROOOOOT LIKE A HOG IN ....

I took your advice IP, I soaked the larger one that was missing the shank. It removed a bunch of the gunk but no new details or markings that I can see.

Ok better to be sure than never know. I've dug a few decent buttons over the years that showed no detail through the corrosion but cleaned up quite well.

Ok better to be sure than never know. I've dug a few decent buttons over the years that showed no detail through the corrosion but cleaned up quite well.

Yeah I remember I very thin button I found couple of years ago, thought it was a plain flat, after a little cleaning turns out to be my best / oldest / and largest Navy button.

Yes ! good stuff out in a field .... for those out there wasting their time posting up " if I only " , wishin' and a hoping replies ... be prepared to walk ,ramble on '... and walk .

Fields are not for the .. can't get down and dirty novice .

Yeah I remember I very thin button I found couple of years ago, thought it was a plain flat, after a little cleaning turns out to be my best / oldest / and largest Navy button.

My usual pic to post on this topic. :) But I have had at least a couple where absolutely nothing was visible and one of those was a Rev War era Navy.

Attachments

• zbefore_after2.jpg
    zbefore_after2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 56

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back